Apple Cheddar Chicken Salad is the perfect combination of creamy, crunchy and sweet! The fuji apples and white cheddar cheese are a classic combo that make your tastebuds sing when paired with the balsamic dressing. YUM!
Finally a salad recipe!!
After going to Disney World and eating everything in sight, it’s about time I got my act together and put something green in my mouth (besides lime sour patch kids).
There were a good two months where I was doing really well with my eating habits…sort of. In December, I got a bad cold then the stomach flu and then another bad cold which brought be 3 pounds below my goal weight. Then January came and so did my well-meaning resolutions. I was doing so well!
Now we’re half way through February and I’ve lost the will to cook/exercise/drink water/go to bed early/anything else on my ‘get healthier’ to do list.
Anyone else in the same boat as me? Someone out there better raise their virtual hand.
I don’t know if it’s the winter weather, my sick baby, my lack of sleep or my love of bread that has me in this funk.
Did I mention Eddie has a double ear infection? I took him to the doctor a few days ago and turns out he wasn’t being cranky because he hates me. That little guy was literally miserable. Poor baby 🙁
So, my body/eating habits are obviously not my current priority. Eddie-man is. And trying to catch up on my sleep. And eating this donut bread. (It’s addicting. Don’t make it.)
I’m not going to get on the scale again until another stomach bug hits.
I made a salad!!!
And it has lots of apples, walnuts, cheese and chicken on it. I love a salad with crunchy and creamy and sweet ingredients. It just works and makes my tastebuds happy. And, bonus!! I happened to have a full serving of spinach at the same time. Winning.
I served this salad with a homemade Garlic Balsamic Dressing which was originally used overtop this salad, but it works just as nicely and deliciously with this one.
A few tips for making this salad:
- Use very sharp white cheddar cheese. In my opinion, it taste better.
- Try to use a fresh and super crispy fuji apple. OR, a nice cold honey crisp. Mmm.
- Toast your walnuts if you have a few extra minutes.
- Chicken is totally optional!
- You can use baby kale, butter lettuce, spring mix, or any other green you have on hand in place of the baby spinach. Use what you have!
I think that’s it for now 🙂
If you have any tips for somehow finding motivation again for wanting to be in shape, send all that info my way. This girl could use it.
Have a great weekend!
Apple Cheddar Chicken Salad
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 1 large fuji apple
- 1/2 cup diced white cheddar cheese cubes about 4 oz.
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 lb. leftover grilled chicken tenders*
- 1 recipe garlic balsamic dressing
- Divide spinach between two large bowls. Wash apple, slice off the fruit and slice thinly into pieces. Arrange onto the spinach. Add on the cheese, walnuts and chicken and drizzle with dressing. Serve.
- *If you have leftover grilled chicken from the night before, great! If not, you can cook 4-5 chicken tenders, sprinkled with salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash in some olive oil in a nonstick skillet until browned.