A comforting and simple recipe for Banana Bread Muffins that use up those extra ripe bananas we all have on our counters. A splash of vanilla and sour cream are what keep these muffins extra tasty and moist!
Growing up, Banana Bread Muffins were always a weekly staple. I’m not sure if its because none of my siblings wanted to eat the fresh bananas on the counter or if my Mom was just over zealous with her banana buying BUT we’d always end up with those very spotty, brown bananas more often than not. Instead of making actual Banana Bread, she would make Banana Bread Muffins which are equally as delicious, but quicker to make (and therefore quicker to eat!)
Now that I’m a mother, I find myself in the same predicament. Always left with bananas. Instead of the plethora of banana desserts or simple smoothies you tend to think of first, I’ve developed this recipe for Banana Bread Muffins that is lower on sugar and a little more healthful than any dessert. Only 6 tablespoons of oil in this whole recipe!
How to make Banana Muffins:
- Stir oil, butter, egg and vanilla together in a large bowl.
- Add in sour cream and mashed banana.
- Slowly incorporate the flour, leavenings and salt until just combined.
- Divide batter between paper lined muffin tins and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Enjoy warm with butter.
Optional Banana Muffin add-ins
Depending on what you and your family like in your muffins, feel free to incorporate any of the ingredients below. Take your banana bread muffins to next level delicious with these tasty extras.
- Chocolate chips – fold in 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips to the finished muffin batter and bake as usual. Makes for an extra sweet muffin.
- Cinnamon – stir in 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the dry ingredients for a warm, spicy muffin.
- Chopped walnuts – fold in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the finished muffin batter and bake according to directions. My family is very opinionated when it comes to nuts, so I left them out, but that would be delicious.
- Raisins – add in 1/2 cup raisins to your finished batter and bake according to directions below. Raisins are not my jam, but I have totally seen these make appearances here and there in banana muffins. To each her own!
Other Banana Recipes you will love:
- The Best Banana Nut Bread
- Ultimate Banana Pudding Recipe
- Banana Cake with Brown Butter Frosting
- Banana Pancakes with Chocolate Chips and Walnuts
This is a great recipe to have on hand. Simple pantry ingredients and easy enough to make any day of the week. Save, pin, bookmark, print, these Banana Bread Muffins will become a family staple.
Have a great day, friends!
Banana Bread Muffins
A comforting and simple recipe for Banana Bread Muffins that use up those extra ripe bananas we all have on our counters.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 14 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
In a large bowl, stir oil, sugar, egg and vanilla together until well combined. Stir in mashed banana and sour cream.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir until just combined.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins until filled 2/3 of the way. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature.