This Pico de Gallo recipe is the freshest, easiest and fastest salsa you can make. Also known as Salsa Fresca, this recipe can turn any taco or burrito into something amazing while still holding its own with tortilla chips.
My basic recipe series rolls on, this time with Pico de Gallo! I know, it seems like such a no-brainer recipe that a lot of people don’t bother to make, but I’m here to tell you that homemade Pico de Gallo can make your taste buds sing and is worth the ten minutes of chopping!
What is Pico de Gallo?
A fresh, Mexican salsa that is made up of simple ingredients. Sometimes called salsa fresca, sometimes called salsa cruda, this pico de gallo is an authentic and delicious way to enjoy more Mexican food.
Pico de Gallo Recipe
Speaking of those simple ingredients, here they all are. So gather them up for delicious pico de gallo salsa.
- Roma Tomato – small but full of tangy tomato taste.
- Cilantro – a staple in any authentic Mexican dish. If this tastes like soap to you, you can leave it out.
- Jalapeno Peppers –I love roasting or pan-frying my jalapenos. I know, it seems strange to cook the jalapenos before throwing them into a fresh pico, but what is a girl to do when she loves that jalapeno taste, but not all the spicy heat? Cook the jalapenos! The longer you cook jalapenos, the less heat they will have. Of course, this is an optional step and you can totally use fresh jalapenos or omit altogether if you’re not into that kind of thing. Make how you like!
- Yellow Onion – slightly on the sweeter side, but these help balance out the acidity.
- Salt & Pepper – to taste.
- Garlic – you can’t go wrong with garlic!
- Lime – juiced! This is super important for the overall taste.
How to Make Pico de Gallo
- Chop Roma tomatoes into small bits and add to a large bowl.
- Add in chopped onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir together, taste and adjust seasoning.
- To cook the jalapenos, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil into a small, nonstick skillet. Add in diced jalapenos and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes. Add roasted peppers to remaining pico de gallo ingredients and stir.
- Refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
- Delicious on tacos, burritos, nachos or on its own with chips.
The beautiful thing about pico is the longer it sits the more delicious it becomes, because of that garlic, onion, and jalapeno.
While I love it and eat it freshly made, I think this recipe is perfect after 12 hours in the fridge because the lime juice and salt break all the ingredients down slightly and draws out the moisture, allowing those flavors to mix together.
Perfect Pico de Gallo every time!
More Recipes to Try!
Grab my printable recipe card below and enjoy! Have a great week, friends!
Amazing Pico de Gallo Recipe
This Pico de Gallo recipe is the freshest, easiest and fastest salsa you can make. Also known as salsa fresca, this pico de gallo can turn any taco or burrito into something amazing while still holding its own with tortilla chips.
- 6 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro loosely packed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper* diced and de-seeded
- 2 whole limes juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
Add all ingredients into a large bowl. Stir together, taste and adjust seasoning.
To cook the jalapenos, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil into a small, nonstick skillet. Add in diced jalapenos and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes. Add roasted peppers to remaining pico de gallo ingredients and stir.
Refrigerate covered until ready to serve.