This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Elephant Ears
- 1. In large bowl pour in hot water and 1 teaspoon of the measured sugar. Sprinkle yeast over top and stir. Set aside to proof, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in microwave safe bowl, heat milk, butter and remaining sugar to melt butter and dissolve sugar. Stir to cool--you want it to be a little warmer than room temperature, but not scalding to kill the yeast.
- Pour butter liquid into yeast mixture and stir. Whisk in egg and salt. Stir in flour using 1/2 cup increments until it forms a dough. Knead dough 2-3 minutes until a slightly sticky dough has formed, adding more flour when necessary.
- Place dough into bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Store in a draft free, warm spot in your kitchen for an hour or so to let dough rise. Punch dough down and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Preheat oil in fryer or deep skillet to 350 degrees, or medium heat on the stove top. Roll dough out to be long ovals that are 1/4-1/8 inch thick...or should I say thin. And, they don't have to be perfect looking either. Mine weren't: Carefully place in hot oil and fry 20-30 seconds per side. (See recipe tips at bottom)
- Once dough has finished cooking remove from oil and hold it over the pan to let the excess oil drip off of it. Then immediately coat in cinnamon sugar--a classic combination! You could also place on paper towels and then spread on Nutella as well. Another favorite way is coating it in sugar and then adding a little lemon juice. So tasty! Be sure to serve these warm and fresh!