This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Puppy Chow, also known as ‘Muddy Buddies’, is a salty, sweet, no bake chocolate and peanut butter snack mix. It is most definitely the most addicting and satisfying peanut butter and chocolate concoction ever. If you’re wanting a snack mix without chocolate or peanut butter you need to try my Cherry Almond Chex Mix. It’s also one that you can polish off in one sitting without even realizing. Yum!
Pro Tips for Making the Best Puppy Chow
- This recipe calls for rice or corn Chex cereal. I’ve tried it with rice and I’ve tried it with corn and truth be told, I loved this recipe best when using both kinds of cereal. Of course, to each her own when it comes to this! Use what you have or can find. 🙂
- Use a large bowl (larger than you think!) for stirring this all together. A large bowl ensures quicker, more thorough mixing and therefore a more evenly coated puppy chow. It’s better to have a bowl too big than too small.
- Use Salted Butter – The salt in the butter helps balance all that sugar while the butter itself helps the peanut butter and chocolate mix together better.
- Vanilla is optional! I didn’t notice a huge difference using it versus not using it, so again, no biggie if you leave it out.
- Tossing the puppy chow with powdered sugar in a Ziploc bag is the easiest, mess-free way to get everything coated. I like measuring 1 cup of powdered sugar on the bottom, adding in the cereal and then topping it off with another half cup. Seal with a lot of air inside and shake. After about 45 seconds, everything should be well coated.
- To ensure you don’t get large clumps of cereal stuck together, spread the puppy chow onto a baking sheet right after it’s been coated in powdered sugar to cool (or is it harden?). I usually don’t have any issues with clumps.
How to Make Puppy Chow
Believe it or not, this recipe comes together in about 10 minutes and tastes so so good! A no bake treat at its best. For full recipe details and ingredient measurements see the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Measure Chex Cereal
Measure out Rice Chex or Corn Chex (or a combination of both) into a large bowl.
Melt Chocolate, Peanut Butter + Butter Together
In a separate bowl, measure out chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter.
Microwave on high for 30-second intervals, stirring as you go, until it’s completely smooth and melted. Then add in the vanilla and stir. Pour melted chocolate mixture over cereal and stir to coat evenly.
Add Powdered Sugar + Chocolate Covered Chex Together + Toss
Add powdered sugar into the bottom of a large Ziploc bag. Pour in coated cereal and top with remaining powdered sugar. Seal bag closed and shake to coat.
Spread onto Parchment Paper
Spread finished puppy chow onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and separate any large chunks. Sprinkle over any extra powdered sugar as needed.
How to Store Puppy Chow
I have found the easiest and best way to store this recipe is spooning it right back into a large Ziploc bag. It’s airtight and can fit on any cupboard or shelf. Some people like their puppy chow cold, so it is totally okay to store it in the fridge!
If you’re giving as gifts, cellophane bags tied very tightly with ribbon will work as well. Makes for a great make-ahead gift.
At room temperature, the puppy chow will last up to 10 days. In the fridge, it should last closer to two weeks. That is if you can stop snacking on it. SO deliciously addicting!
Love Puppy Chow? Try these other recipes:
- Rainbow Muddy Buddies
- Perfect no bake cookies
- Salted Chocolate & Ritz Nougat No Bake Bars
- Nutter Butter Nutella Icebox Cake
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake
I hope Puppy Chow is on your list to make this week. It’s perfect for afternoon snacks, Halloween and other holidays or late night treats for us mommas. Enjoy, friends! 🙂
- 8 cups rice or corn Chex cereal or a mixture of the two
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla optional
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar or more to taste
- Measure out Chex cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter using 30-second intervals, stirring in between each one, until completely smooth and melted. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over cereal and stir to coat evenly.
- Measure out 1 cup of powdered sugar into the bottom of a large Ziploc bag. Pour in coated cereal and top with remaining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Seal bag closed and shake to coat.
- Spread finished puppy chow onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and separate any large chunks. Sprinkle over any extra powdered sugar as needed. Once cooled and at room temperature, store in airtight containers or bags for up to 10 days at room temperature or 2 weeks in the fridge.
I made this Muddy Buddy Recipe with dark chocolate and crunchy peanut butter, so GOOD!
My friend always makes this at the holidays. We just moved away, so now I can make my own! Yay!
I was just eating the Chex Mix brand muddy buddies and thinking about trying to make homemade ones when I came across your recipe! I can’t wait to try these out, it looks so simple and delicious. Thanks for the inspiration!
Everything you make looks amazing. You are an inspiration 🥰 I been following you for years. I’m a mother of 3 and a full time job.. your recipes never let me down.
Puppy chow is my favorite snack. I make mine with the Chocolate Chex for that extra chocolaty kick. It’s delicious!
Wow, I love puppy Chow and this recipe looks amazing!! I cant wait to try it!! 🙂
My kids love this so recipe!
This would make a good treat bad. Add some M&M’s to it for some color.
My family loves Puppy Chow. We love both the rice and corn cereal, so I use Crispix cereal by Kellogg’s (one side is rice and the other side is corn), so you only have to buy one kind of cereal. Since you reminded me about this recipe, I’m going to make it this weekend for a get together.
I forgot about this snack. Going to make it this weekend.
Looks so yummy Lauren.