This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you love making classic Chocolate Chip Cookies just so you can have a little cookie dough, look no further! Edible Cookie Dough is an egg-free, guilt-free option! Made without the eggs, but with all the flavor, this cookie dough is the perfect no-bake treat.
The Difference Between Cookie Dough and Edible Cookie Dough
The first thing you may be wondering is why should I make Edible Cookie Dough when I have lots of regular cookie recipes I can just make and enjoy the dough from? There are two main answers to this:
- Edible Cookie Dough is made without Eggs. Eggs can carry food borne illnesses, especially if they are consumed raw, without being pasteurized. Salmonella is the main risk associated with eggs.
- Edible Cookie Dough uses Heat Treated Flour. Raw flour can also carry food bourne illness, mainly E. Coli, which is why we would bake it in the oven first to kill anything in the flour, making our cookie dough safe to eat as a ‘raw’ product.
Even though we all know the risks associated with eating raw cookie dough, why not make a batch of completely safe cookie dough to enjoy? Enter this recipe….
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
The method to making edible cookie dough is similar to regular cookie dough with a couple of different steps. For full details check out the recipe card below.
Bake the Flour
Preheat oven. Spread flour onto a baking sheet and bake. This kills off any bacteria in the raw flour so you can eat the raw cookie dough safely.
Make the Edible Cookie Dough
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla and milk and mix again briefly. Pour in flour and stir to create cookie dough. Scrape sides well and stir in mini chocolate chips in by hand.
Enjoy with a spoon or portion out into servings using a cookie scoop. Add more chocolate chips as a garnish, if desired, and dig in. Yum!
Making Ahead and Storage Directions
The beauty of this recipe is it easily can be made ahead because it lasts beautifully in the fridge and freezer. Store your edible cookie dough in the fridge for up to one week and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just be sure to wrap or pack it well in an airtight container. Pull a few cookie dough bites out to enjoy as you like, whenever you like! Yum.
Can You Bake Edible Cookie Dough?
No, you cannot bake this edible cookie dough. Not only do they NOT include any baking soda or baking powder (leavenings) they don’t have any eggs. So, they wouldn’t rise, their texture would be off and they would likely fall apart because there isn’t any protein from the egg holding it all together. So, while it would make an interesting experiment, stick with a classic recipe.
Yummy Variations to Try
While the classic edible cookie dough would be chocolate chip, here are a few variations you might want to give a try!
- Chocolate Chips: use any sort of chocolate chips in this recipe, dark chocolate, milk, or even white. You could even add-in peanut butter or butterscotch chips.
- Other Mix-Ins: consider sprinkles, chopped nuts as other mix-ins!
- Cocoa Powder: use 2/3 cup of heat-treated flour and 1/3 cup cocoa powder to make a chocolate cookie dough base.
- Almond Extract: use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract for a sugar cookie dough base.
Chocolate Chip Lover? Try These Cookies:
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
So there you have it! A super tasty and egg-free Edible Cookie Dough! Hope you love it as much as we did! Have a great day, friends!
Edible Cookie Dough
- 1 medium bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread flour onto a baking sheet and bake 5 minutes. This kills off any bacteria in the raw flour so you can eat the raw cookie dough safely.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla and milk and mix again briefly. Pour in flour and stir to create cookie dough. Scrape sides well and stir in mini chocolate chips in by hand.
- Enjoy with a spoon, or scoop into portions and enjoy!