The best breakfast ever is Brioche French Toast! Thick slices of brioche bread, dipped in a vanilla cinnamon custard and fried in butter. SO dreamy with maple syrup.
Whether you need a special breakfast menu item or you just simply want to elevate your weekend brunch game, Brioche French Toast is the way to go. Buttery brioche bread is the fancier, French (read: more delicious) cousin of American white bread. If you can find it, snag a few loaves! It is worth every calorie.
So, first of all, what is Brioche French Toast?
Like I mentioned above, Brioche Bread is a highly enriched French loaf, filled with plenty of butter and eggs, giving it a more luxurious, pastry-type feel in the mouth. It’s fabulous on its own.
But Brioche French Toast is just as it seems: brioche bread turned into french toast. Dipped in a milk and egg mixture and fried in a pan. It has turned into a popular “fancy” restaurant dish that is so SO simple to make at home.
Where can I find Brioche Bread?
The loaf of brioche bread I use for this recipe is found at Trader Joes. It was the most cost effective way to buy several loaves at a time that was already sliced perfectly into 1-inch pieces. I would highly recommend this brand if you can find it.
If you don’t have a Trader Joes nearby, try Whole Foods, your local grocery store or a french bakery.
How to make Brioche French Toast
Just like regular french toast, this brioche french toast recipe has the same steps, just using thicker brioche. Start to finish this should take 30 minutes or less 🙂
- Make the custard: whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon together in a large, shallow dish.
- Soak the brioche bread in the custard for about 3 seconds per side.
- Transfer the soaked bread to a hot, buttered nonstick skillet to fry until golden in color on each side; 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, powdered sugar, strawberries, whipped cream or anything your little heart desires.
Best way to keep French Toast Warm
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and transfer the fried french toast pieces to the pan and then directly into a 200-degree oven. This will keep your french toast warm while you’re frying up the remaining batches. This allows you to serve everything together, all nice and toasty.
French Toast should stay warm for up to 45 minutes before it starts to get a little dried out. If it does appear to get a little dry around the edges, simply brush with a little melted butter. Butter makes everything better!
Perfect toppings for Brioche French Toast
- whipped cream
- lemon curd
- powdered sugar
- lemon juice
- cinnamon sugar
- cinnamon roll syrup
- real maple syrup
What to Serve with French Toast
When I’m serving something sweet, I love a good savory element that will balance the breakfast out. For this particular recipe I happened to make the oven baked bacon, listed below, but any of these options are delicious!
- Oven Baked Bacon (seriously, the easiest method ever!)
- Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- Best Pan Fried Potatoes
- Fried Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash
More Recipes to Love!
- Lemon Cream French Toast
- How to Make French Toast (basic recipe)
- Cinnamon Toast Encrusted French Toast
- French Toast Pigs in a Blanket (a family favorite!)
- Perfect French Toast Casserole
- Caramelized Banana and Cream Cheese Filled French Toast
Brioche French Toast
- Remove thick slices brioche bread from bag and peel away any paper, if applicable. Set aside. (The Trader Joe's brioche bread has paper you need to peel from each slice.)
- Preheat large, nonstick skillet over medium low to medium heat.
- In a large, shallow dish, whisk milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla together until well combined.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter onto pan. Soak two slices of brioche bread in egg and milk mixture, 3 seconds per side, and transfer directly to hot pan. Fry each side 30 seconds to 1 minute or until evenly golden in color. Remove from pan to a baking sheet. Keep cooked brioche french toast pieces warm in a 200 degree oven.
- Continue this method until all slices of brioche bread have been fried.
- Serve warm brioche french toast with powdered sugar, strawberries, whipped cream, maple syrup or any other desired toppings.