This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Perfectly zingy and sweet these Lemon Sugar Cookies are to die for! Topped with a lemony icing, you won’t be able to hold yourself back.
I had a bunch of lemon sugar cookies the other day. And they were tasty as ever. And my trainer had a heart attack. J/K. I had a heart attack. But, you would give into a sweet, chewy, freshly glazed lemon cookie too. I’m sure of it. And lucky for you, I’m posting the recipe today so you can indulge a little…..and make me feel better for eating 8 1/2 of them.
Lemon Sugar Cookie Recipe Ingredients
Simple cookie making ingredients are needed for this Sugar Cookie Recipe! Here’s what you need:
- Butter and Sugar – regular granulated sugar (no brown sugar here) and salted butter! If you only have unsalted butter, just add a pinch of salt with the flour and baking powder.
- Egg and Vanilla Extract – the egg is for structure while the vanilla is for flavor.
- Lemon Extract and Lemon Zest – speaking of flavor, these are where all the lemon flavor comes from. Try not to zest the white parts of the lemon rind.
- Flour and Baking Powder – flour fills out the cookies and baking powder provides essential cookie lift!
- Powdered Sugar and Lemon Juice – these two are used to make the lemon icing, optional but totally and highly recommended.
Love sugar cookies? Same here! Here are a couple more to try: Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies, The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe Ever, Bakery-Style Soft Baked Sugar Cookies, Sugar Cookies with Icing, and Pomegranate White Chocolate Sugar Cookies.
How to Make Lemon Sugar Cookies
This should be a super easy and familiar recipe to follow. For full recipes on how to make lemon sugar cookies, see the recipe card down below.
- Grab a stand mixer of choice and fit it with the paddle attachment. Start by creaming butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Stir in an egg, a little vanilla, and lemon extract. And some lemon zest too.
- Now we can stir in our dry ingredients and call this dough good to go! I love cookie dough, yo.
- Scoop out your lemon sugar cookies. Obvs.
- Now call the kids over and let them go to town: take a cup, dip it into a pile of sugar and flatten out your cookies.
- Bake off these suckers and transfer them to a cooling rack. Now, you can eat these as is BUT…
…cookies are better with icing. Read on friends!
Lemon Sugar Cookies with Icing
After baking your lemon sugar cookies and letting them cool completely, make some lemon icing!
This icing is just powdered sugar and lemon juice stirred together and drizzled over the top! Mix together until the consistency of school glue (if too wet, add more powdered sugar. If too thick add more lemon juice). After a few minutes, these will be dry and ready to eat 🙂
Over the years, those who have made this lemon sugar cookie recipe have asked if the cookie dough can be frozen to make these ahead of time. I am happy to inform you that yes, they can be frozen.
Simply make the dough and scoop into balls. Lay on a baking sheet and freeze for a couple of hours or until frozen. Once this is done, transfer the cookie dough balls to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, transfer the cookie dough balls to a prepared baking sheet. Flatten with a cup dipped in sugar then bake away! You might have to bake for a minute or two longer if baking from frozen. Cool lemon sugar cookies completely before icing!
More Lemon Cookie Recipes to Try!
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies with Zucchini
- Glazed Lemon Cookies
Hello, lover. I don’t know about you but I love chewy cookies. Especially chewy lemon sugar cookies. My new faves 🙂 Give them a whirl today!
Have a great week!
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar together in stand mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in egg, vanilla, lemon extra and lemon zest. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Scoop onto prepared sheets and flatten slightly with the bottom of a cup dipped in the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake 8-9 minutes, cool 2 minutes and transfer to cooling rack.
- Stir powdered sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. Drizzle over top of each cookie. After a few minutes, the glaze should dry and you can eat them ALL.