Have I told you all that we don’t have cable? Or satellite? Noperoonies. Nothing like that…just hulu and netflix. Because we are cheapskates. Recently, I’ve just gotten hooked onto Cake Boss. Gotta love TLC. I never seemed to think I would actually like that show like when it first came out, but it’s surprisingly addicting. The cakes they make are obviously too legit to quit, but the yelling, the family drama, the accents and the flour throwing is insanity….and yet so hilarious. Me and TV….like a moth to a flame. Pretty sure this is the main reason I don’t get enough sleep and why I feel exhausted all the live long day. There are other reasons why I’m exhausted, but that’s #1.
What do I do when I watch shows? Eat cookies. Or something else with sugar. Then I can stay up later. Once I finally crash, I’m tired for most of the next day. What do I do to stay awake? Eat cookies. It’s a vicious cycle.
Stupid cake boss.
One of these days I’ll get my act together. But in the mean time, these are my cookies of choice. As lemony and sweet as my Lemon Crinkle Cookies, but more cakey with a sugary and tangy glaze. This is my Mom’s recipe that she’s made for years…..she most likely got it from a friend or some magazine circa 1983. I’ll keep you posted if I ever find out.
Anyways, these are what got me obsessed with lemony treats and are amazing fresh out of the oven with their glaze. Here’s how she blows:
Start by creaming butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add in some vanilla,
and lots of lemon zest. I LOVE lemon 🙂
Once all that is mixed well, add in all your dry ingredients
and while that’s stirring together, stream in some milk and vinegar.
Voila! Cookie dough! It might seem too loose to be a cookie batter, but these are cakey cookies, so that explains the loosey goosey batter.
Scoop these onto some cookie sheets and bake away!
While those are in the oven, we’ll make the glaze. Stir together some lemon juice and sugar and that’s it.
Oh hello gorgeous! As soon as these come out of the oven,
spoon all that glaze over top the hot cookies.
After a few minutes, the glaze will harden up and you can shovel these babies into your mouth!
That’s it! Super quick and so so delicious!!
Here’s the printable:
Lemon Glazed Lemon Cookies
Yield 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- for the glaze--
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in egg, vanilla and lemon zest. Scrape sides and whip again. Measure out all dry ingredients and pour into batter. Slowly mix while streaming in sour milk. Stir until just combined. Scrape sides and mix again by hand to ensure batter is smooth and evenly mixed. Scoop onto prepared baking sheets and bake 6-9 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are barely browned.
- While cookies are baking, stir lemon juice and sugar together to make glaze. Once cookies come out of the oven, immediately spoon glaze over top hot cookies. Cool 3 minutes and remove cookies onto cooling rack. Serve. Store any extra cookies in airtight containers for up to 3 days.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @laurens_latest on Instagram and hashtag it #laurenslatest.