This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate birthday cake with creamy chocolate frosting and a sweet peanut butter glaze. A chocolate and peanut butter lovers dream!
I’m not sure I’ve ever been so excited to eat a chocolate birthday cake before. Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, peanut butter glaze YES PLEASE. Both my husband and I are chocolate + peanut butter lovers (especially my husband!) so it made perfect sense that he asked for a chocolate cake with some sort of peanut butter element added in for his most recent birthday. Being the baking enthusiast and food lover that I am happily obliged.
I didn’t take step by step photos because KIDS (and I baked the cake portion at 11pm the night before) but I assure you the hardest part of this cake is frosting it…and even if you don’t frost it perfectly, never fear! That’s what peanut butter glaze is for!
I used my Perfect Chocolate Cake Recipe as the base, my Chocolate Frosting recipe to fill and coat and then a basic peanut butter glaze (four ingredients!) to drizzle down the sides and spread evenly over the top (which is listed below). Of course if you have a recipe for chocolate cake or chocolate frosting, by all means use that! Heck, use a cake mix and a can of frosting for all I care! Do what you know and what you think tastes good. If you ARE going to use a can of frosting though, make sure you whip it a minute or two with a hand mixer to lighten it up and make it easier to spread. It’ll make a world of difference.
My pro tips for this recipe would include:
- cooling your cake completely before attempting to frost
- whipping your frosting so it’s completely smooth and easy to spread
- Adding too much frosting at first to make spreading easier (with less crumbs!) using an offset spatula (best tool ever for frosting cakes!)
- Taking off all that extra frosting off as you go to get a smooth and professional finish
- using a teaspoon to add the drips down the sides of the cake
Below are a few more photos and then the printable recipe at the bottom.
Have a great day, friends!
Chocolate Birthday Cake with Peanut Butter Glaze
- Make chocolate cake recipe according to directions and cool completely.
- Make chocolate frosting recipe according to directions and fill and frost cakes together.
- In a small bowl, stir peanut butter together with powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Stir until smooth and then continue adding more milk, little by little, until desired consistency is reached.
- Using a teaspoon, drip the peanut butter glaze down the sides of the cake and then spoon over the top and spread gently to cover completely.