This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate birthday cake with creamy chocolate frosting and a sweet peanut butter glaze. A chocolate and PB lover’s dream (the same goes for these Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies)!
Chocolate Birthday Cake | Peanut Butter Glaze
I’m not sure I’ve ever been so excited to eat a chocolate birthday cake before. Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, peanut butter glaze YES PLEASE. Both my husband and I are chocolate + peanut butter lovers (especially my husband!) so it made perfect sense that he asked for a chocolate cake with some sort of PB element added in for his most recent birthday. Being the baking enthusiast and food lover that I am happily obliged.
Main Ingredients Needed
I used my Chocolate Cake Recipe as the base, my Chocolate Frosting recipe to fill and coat, and then a basic peanut butter glaze (four ingredients!) to drizzle down the sides and spread evenly over the top (which is listed below). Here’s everything you’ll need to make this Chocolate Birthday Cake!
- Chocolate Cake + Chocolate Frosting – of course, if you have a recipe for chocolate cake or chocolate frosting, by all means, use that! Heck, use a cake mix and a can of frosting for all I care! Do what you know and what you think tastes good. If you ARE going to use a can of frosting though, make sure you whip it a minute or two with a hand mixer to lighten it up and make it easier to spread. It’ll make a world of difference.
For the Peanut Butter Glaze
- Peanut Butter – smooth and non-natural peanut butter works best, something like Jif or Skippy brand works great.
- Powdered Sugar – this sweetens the glaze.
- Vanilla – this lightly flavors the whole thing.
- Milk – this thins out the mixture to be a pourable glaze.
Pro Tips for the Best Results
My pro tips for this Chocolate Birthday Cake would include:
- cooling your cake completely before attempting to decorate
- whipping your frosting so it’s completely smooth and easy to spread
- Adding too much frosting at first to make spreading easier (with less crumbs!) using an offset spatula!
- Taking off all that extra frosting as you go to get a smooth and professional finish
- using a teaspoon to add the drips down the sides of the cake
How to Make a Chocolate Birthday Cake
For full details on how to make this Chocolate Birthday Cake, see the recipe card down below!
Step 1: Chocolate Cake
Make chocolate cake recipe according to directions and cool completely.
Step 2: Chocolate Frosting
Make chocolate frosting recipe according to directions and fill and frost cakes together.
Step 3: Peanut Butter Glaze
In a small bowl, stir peanut butter together with powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Stir until smooth and then continue adding more milk, little by little, until desired consistency is reached.
Using a teaspoon, drip the glaze down the sides of the cake and then spoon over the top and spread gently to cover completely.
And if you are looking for the birthday candles I used on this cake you can find them here!
More Chocolate Cakes to Try!
Here are a couple of more Birthday worthy chocolatey cakes to make:
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Dark Chocolate Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake
I hope you consider making this Chocolate Birthday Cake the next special day you celebrate! We loved it and I just know you would too!
The printable recipe card is down below 🙂 Have a great day, friends!
Chocolate Birthday Cake with Peanut Butter Glaze
- Make chocolate cake recipe according to directions and cool completely.
- Make chocolate frosting recipe according to directions and fill and frost cakes together.
- In a small bowl, stir peanut butter together with powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Stir until smooth and then continue adding more milk, little by little, until desired consistency is reached.
- Using a teaspoon, drip the peanut butter glaze down the sides of the cake and then spoon over the top and spread gently to cover completely.