This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Molten Lava Cake recipe is one of the easiest and most decadent desserts to make at home! Only a few ingredients needed that you probably already have on hand! If lava cakes aren’t your thing, give my perfect chocolate cake a recipe with accompanying frosting. It’s one of my most popular recipes!
Chocolate Lava Cake | Dangerously Addicting
Man are Lava Cakes good. So good, in fact, that we made them two days in a row-by my family’s request. When you dig into these little cakes, the center oozes out warm fudgy heavenly goodness. It’s especially delicious with ice cream!
If you’ve never had a lava cake before, you are in for a treat. I first tried this recipe when I was in college and after the first bite, I knew I needed the recipe. So, a few years went by and I completely forgot about it UNTIL my old roommate, Brandielle, posted it on the Pioneer Woman’s site and I found it! These are not so good for my thunder thigh situation. But, that’s not your problem.
SO! If you’re looking for your chocolate fix, this will certainly fit the bill!
Main Ingredients Needed
These lava cakes are DANGEROUS in my house because I always always always have the ingredients on hand.
- Chocolate – Use semi-sweet baking squares, but if you don’t have those I have a good substitute down below in the recipe card (regular chocolate chips!).
- Eggs – Two whole eggs and two egg yolks to be exact.
- Butter – An essential baking ingredient that is also found in this recipe.
- Powdered Sugar and All-Purpose Flour – For sweetness and structure!
How to Make Lava Cake | Directions
For full details, including measurements and times, see the recipe card below!
Preheat oven. Spray 4 custard cups with non-stick cooking spray and place on a baking sheet. (If you don’t have custard cups you can use a muffin tin!)
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in sugar until well blended. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks. Stir in flour. Divide evenly between baking dishes.
Bake until sides are firm and center is soft. Let stand before removing. Serve warm with ice cream or Whipped Cream.
Prepare the batter up to 2 days in advance to make Lava Cakes ahead of time! But be sure to let the batter come to room temperature before baking.
Freeze baked lava cakes for up to 3 months! Reheat in the microwave but don’t overdo it, you still want the center to be runny.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes to Try!
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Dark Chocolate Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Birthday Cake
- Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake
Voila! That’s it! Enjoy your Lava Cake and the printable recipe card below!
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 4 custard cups with non-stick cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in sugar until well blended. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks. Stir in flour. Divide evenly between baking dishes.
- Bake 13-15 minutes until sides are firm and center is soft. Let stand 1 minute before removing. Serve warm with ice cream.