This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I went to the library yesterday and my daughter checked out 28 books. And 2 Barbie DVD’s. When I was five, I don’t remember the library ever letting me check out more than 5 items at a time. Or maybe that was my Mom’s rule to make sure we didn’t loose the library books?! I don’t know.
We really are horrible at loosing library books though. Soooooo, good luck to me in finding all 30 items to return in 13 days when they’re due.
I should have thought this through.
I on the other hand got a gardening book. I’m trying to convince myself that growing my own organic vegetables this year will be fun and worth the effort but the book I’m reading is telling me otherwise. It talks a lot about how much work it is and how you have to test your soil for pH and do water drainage tests and plan out how to rotate your crops, yadda yadda yadda.
Do you think there are gardeners for hire out there? That like, want to get paid in cookies? Cause I’d be all over that.
All you brilliant green-thumbers out there–come garden with me!! And tell me it’s worth it ’cause I’m *this close* to googling bountiful baskets.
ANYWAYS. Enough library talk.
Lets discuss chicken. Cue this music.
I think I was trying to channel olive garden or something by making this chicken and mushrooms in a creamy parmesan sauce over mashed potatoes. I feel like they have a dish like this on their menu?! Not that I know or anything. Womp womp.
BUT. This was pretty straightforward to make, awesome to eat and the gravy with the mashed potatoes was PRIME. Seriously so yummy. It’s a bit on the more time consuming side, but well worth the wait. Perfect for Sunday dinner!
Try it out this weekend and let me know what you think. We loved it and even my 5 year old asked for seconds of this AND of this salad too. Winner!
Here’s the printable. Have a great Friday 🙂
Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Mushrooms over Mashed Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 chicken cutlets or 3 chicken breasts cut in half to be thinner
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz button mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 recipe of my Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- In large heavy bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken cutlets with salt and pepper and place 3 into hot butter. Brown on each side and remove from pot. Brown remaining 3 cutlets on both sides and set aside.
- Saute onions and mushrooms in remaining butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic plus some salt and pepper and cook another minute.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to medium high and pour in chicken stock, thyme and basil. Bring to boil to thicken sauce, then reduce to medium low heat. Add browned chicken back into pot.
- Cook another 10 minutes. Right before serving, stir in cream, cheese and parsley. Serve over mashed potatoes.