This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Easy Red Coconut Curry is a lot simpler (and healthier!) to make than you think! Grab any vegetables you have on hand, chicken and some red curry paste, and you’ll be enjoying this dish in 30 minutes or less.
Red Coconut Curry is something I positively love.
My kids, notsomuch.
I’m not sure if it’s all the vegetables, the coconut milk or the spices (not heat level, actual spice flavors) but they all complain and then eat brown rice and peanuts for dinner, while poking at the curry on the other side of their plate, praying the sauce doesn’t find it’s way over to the food they’re actually eating. The HORROR when that happens. I’m sure you’ve been there too.
So, when my three little ones were at their grandparent’s house last week, I made a double batch of my Red Coconut Curry because I’d have zero objections from no one and I’d have lots of leftovers to eat through the week. I LOVE doing this.
If you have watched me online at all (mostly on insta-stories), then you’ll know that I try to make 1-3 things at the beginning of the week to have on hand to make my life easier and so I stay nourished. Us moms normally don’t sit down long enough to eat much or make ourselves anything tasty for lunch, so on the weekends I try to get a few things prepped and ready so they are just waiting for me in my fridge OR, if I’m going to make a casserole or a yummy dinner, I try to make double so there are extras for me to eat in the following days. This curry would qualify as something I would double batch. Honestly, anything that you’d like to have seconds of is worth doubling. (Also, on the weekends, I’m not making fancy meals at all. I’m talking chicken salad, homemade sandwich bread or hard boiling some eggs. Anything I can do to save time later in the week for meal prep, I’ll try to do it ahead.)
So, let this be your PSA to make a nice big pot of this because you’re going to want extras!
Here are a few photos I snapped of the finished dish. It’s really really tasty and easily adaptable based on the vegetables you have on hand. Be sure to read the notes below for optimal results.
Have a great day, friends! xo
Easy Red Coconut Curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger*
- 4 cups fresh vegetables** such as
- diced butternut squash
- diced carrot
- green beans
- snow peas
- diced bell peppers
- sweet potato
- or any other vegetable you'd like
- 2-13 oz. cans light coconut milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons real maple syrup or granulated sugar
- chicken broth as needed
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken ***see notes below
- brown rice for serving
- any desired toppings such as peanuts, cilantro, lime juice, thai basil, etc..
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion until mostly tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger and vegetables and cook another 2 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. See if it's as saucy as you'd like. If you'd like more 'broth', add in chicken broth as needed. (I added in about 1 cup.)
- Gently simmer vegetables for about 10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in shredded chicken and serve over brown rice. Top with any desired toppings.