This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
After trying the guacamole at Rosa Mexicana restaurant in NYC, I knew I had to recreate it. So buttery and delicious!
Gordon and I went out for a date a few weeks ago to a restaurant called Rosa Mexicana; they have several locations in the city. Anyways, we were told by several people that they are known for their guacamole so obviously we went in knowing we HAD to try it.
You guys, it was good. VERY good in fact. After trying my best to dissect the recipe by examining all the ingredients in the dark (mood lighting, ya’ll) and eating it with and without tortilla chips (finishing the whole bowl….for research purposes) I came to the conclusion that onions cooked in butter was their secret. I have no idea if this is actually their secret or recipe, but it certainly tasted like it and oh mama does butter + onions + avocados make good guacamole!
I tested this recipe twice and both times had Eddie licking his fingers clean. Once he runs out of chips, he doesn’t ask for more chips, he just starts dipping and licking his fingers. That boy LOVES his guacamole. But, I am his mother and can’t say I’m surprised because this stuff is LEGIT.
So, this recipe of guacamole calls for:
- ripe avocados
- diced tomato
- onions cooked in butter
- salt & pepper
- lime juice
Nothing too out of the ordinary, but the beauty of this recipe are all the goodies found in between the extra buttery avocado which is what sets this guacamole apart from others and explains why Rosa Mexicana is known for amazing Guacamole.
Whether you’ve been to this restaurant in New York City or not, you can make amazing, buttery and flavorful guacamole at home with this simple and delicious recipe!
As usual, scroll down to the bottom of this post for the printable recipe card. Have a great weekend, friends! xo
More Guacamole Recipes!
- Classic Guacamole Recipe
- Mexican Street Corn Guacamole
- Southwest Guacamole Hummus
- Guacamole for a Crowd!
- Super Bowl Snack Stadium + the Best Guacamole Ever
- Buffalo Bacon Blue Cheese Guacamole
- Margarita Guacamole + Cinco De Mayo Recipes
- Grilled Guacamole
Rosa Mexicana Guacamole
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 6 ripe Haas avocados
- juice of 3-4 limes
- 1 tablespoons fresh garlic finely minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- In a large, non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add in diced yellow onion and sauté until lightly browned and tender, 6-7 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, scoop avocados out into a large bowl and mash together with lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir in browned onions, diced tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
- To store in the fridge, scoop guacamole into an airtight container, press plastic wrap directly on top of it and cover with container lid.