This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Chicken Salad Recipe with Grapes is so easy to make and delicious! Perfect as a hearty chicken salad sandwich or dipped with some crackers. A tasty and filling lunch or snack.
Guys, this Chicken Salad Recipe (with grapes!) is to die for. Planning a baby shower or brunch OR are you sick of the same old thing for lunch?! This chicken salad has got it all: sweet, salty, spicy and crunchy! It’s my version of chicken salad Veronique and its one of the easiest and yummiest things I’ve made in a long time. Only a few extra ingredients are needed to make a plain chicken salad into something a little more fabulous.
Chicken Salad with Grapes
The first set of ingredients you’ll need to gather are the main mix-ins. Basically, a beautiful blend of chewy and crunchy, bursting with flavor with every bite.
- Chicken – boil or roast your chicken and then cube it or shred it. Shredding creates more surface area for the dressing to hold onto but for this recipe, I cubed the chicken. To make this chicken salad even easier you can use rotisserie chicken! Yum!
- Onion – I used a white onion for its sharper flavor. But if you want something milder, you can use yellow or red onions.
- Celery – celery brings the perfect crunchy fresh factor to this recipe!
- Seedless Grapes – this is a chicken salad with grapes and let me tell you, the grapes are so good. Juicy and sweet, they are the perfect addition.
- Cashews – nutty and crunchy, cashews help balance out all the textures and flavors.
- Parsely – a light flavor that makes all the difference.
The next set of ingredients is for the chicken salad dressing. This dressing is perfectly creamy, with a delicate balance of acidic and sweet (which is further enhanced by the seasonings)!
- Mayonnaise – please please use a good brand of mayonnaise and not Miracle Whip. If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you’ll know I detest Miracle Whip.
- White Vinegar – this is where that acidic taste comes from in the dressing.
- Sugar – to balance out the acidity but to also bring some more sweetness into the salad.
- Salt and Pepper – season to taste!
Chicken Salad is one of the most versatile salads out there. You can swap out ingredients or just keep adding more to customize it to your liking. This Chicken Salad with Grapes is no different! So I’ve gathered up some good ideas for you to try.
Fruit. There are a ton of fruit that you can sub grapes out for or add-in alongside grapes. Here are some to name a few: dried cranberries, dried apricots, chopped apples, and sliced strawberries. The difference between fresh and dried fruit is the chewiness.
Nuts. If you aren’t a fan of cashews you can use: roasted pecans, slivered almonds or chopped walnuts. Whatever you like is best.
Nut Free. Or if you are allergic to nuts, leave them out entirely and replace them with sunflower seeds. That way you still get that crunch!
Creaminess. Some people really don’t like mayonnaise and that’s totally okay. I have a solution for you, simply use: sour cream or Greek yogurt in place of mayo. This also lightens up the whole recipe.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Chicken Salad
Marinating. I find the flavor more appealing once the chicken salad has been ‘marinating’ for an hour or more. Also, the sugar doesn’t dissolve immediately in the dressing, so its best to let the ingredients hang out a little (like 5-ish minutes) so the sugar can dissolve.
Don’t Forget. The parsley is a nice light pleasant flavor that I like, so please don’t leave it out. It makes a world of difference (in my opinion 🙂)
Cold Salad. Because this is meant to be eaten cold, use cold products-meaning: don’t use hot, freshly cooked chicken. Cool it down first before you use it. (It helps prevent bacteria from growing) As a rule, don’t let anything mayonnaise-based sit out (outside, on the counter, etc.) for longer than 3 hours!
How to Make Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Cut cooked chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped chicken, onion, celery, grapes (halved), cashews, parsley and any other add-ins you want to include.
- To make the dressing, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken salad and toss to coat. That’s it, you’re done!
There are a couple of ways to serve this chicken salad with grapes.
- Plain – this salad is so good just plain by itself. Seriously, try it alone before trying it any other way.
- Sandwich – you can use any sort bread to make a sandwich but I like it best with croissants. Buttery flakey croissants…
- Crackers – these are great little tools to help you shove chicken salad into your mouth… I like to use Triscuits or Ritz crackers but you can use whatever brand you like.
- Toast – back to bread but this time toasted bread! It’s like a sandwich and cracker combined.
How Long Does this Chicken Salad Recipe Last?
To store and keep for later, seal chicken salad with grapes in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days!
Unfortunately, chicken salad doesn’t freeze well. This is because the dressing tends to separate.
But if you are desperate to freeze this stuff, chop all the ingredients and freeze without dressing it. Instead, make the dressing the day you plan to serve the salad, fresh.
To serve, thaw your frozen chicken salad ingredients in the fridge the night before. Then make the dressing and pour it over top. Enjoy!
More Tasty Salads To Try!
- Basil & Pecan Chicken Salad
- Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad Recipe
- Fancy Chicken & Pecan Pasta Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
This Chicken Salad Recipe is great any way you eat it and guests are sure to love it too! Give it a whirl and make your next lunch a little more exciting and enjoyable! Enjoy!
Chicken Salad with Grapes
- 2 large precooked chicken breasts boiled or roasted
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/3 cup celery chopped
- 1/3 cup red seedless grapes halved
- 1/3 cup roasted raw cashews
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise use a good quality brand!
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- salt & pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, celery, grapes, cashews, and parsley.
- In small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over chicken and toss to coat. You're done! Eat it how you like it! On bread, with crackers or plain!