This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy, fast, and totally customizable this is the perfect Frittata recipe to make for breakfast! Plus the leftovers are just as delicious, yum!
Filled with breakfast sausage, asparagus, and a creamy egg filling then topped with gruyere cheese, this is a tasty and simple Frittata recipe. Customize it to your liking and enjoy for breakfast and later as leftovers!
But first, what is a Frittata?
A Frittata is an Italian dish that mainly consists of eggs. Some call it a crustless quiche because the two are so similar. Frittata can also be described similarly to omelets or scrambled eggs with some additional filling ingredients like meat, vegetables, and cheeses.
Basic Frittata Ingredients
This Frittata recipe only needs 7 basic ingredients that you probably already have on hand! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – butter is used not only for flavor but to help cook some of the ingredients below.
- Breakfast Sausage – buy store-bought or make homemade breakfast sausage. Either way is delicious!
- Asparagus – for flavor, texture, and vitamins. More about vegetables down below!
- Eggs – you’re going to need a lot of eggs for this recipe so plan accordingly.
- Heavy Cream – using full-fat dairy in this case really adds to the creaminess of the egg mixture and helps create something fluffy yet tender.
- Gruyere Cheese – sweet and slightly salty, use freshly grated gruyere for best results.
- Salt and Pepper – don’t forget to season! It’s so important for good-tasting meals 🙂
Now frittata can be made a ton of different ways and this recipe is just the way I happened to make it. Here are some other ideas to customize your frittata (P.S. this is the perfect time to go through your fridge and use what you have on hand)!
- Vegetables: tomatoes, broccoli, onions, spinach, artichoke, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, you name it! This is such a good recipe to sneak vegetables into.
- Protein: you don’t have to use breakfast sausage here. You could use bacon, shredded chicken, or even canned black beans as your protein. That would be a good Tex-Mex version that’s also vegetarian!
- Cheese: feta cheese, cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella, blue cheese, you name it! just make sure your cheese goes along with the other flavors you are working with.
- Dairy: instead of using heavy cream you could also use whole milk, half & half, sour cream, or even plain greek yogurt.
How to Make a Frittata
The traditional way to make Frittata is from the stove-top-to-oven method, so make sure you use a skillet that can be transferred to the oven! For full details see the recipe card down below.
In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, start browning breakfast sausage in butter. Break sausage apart as it cooks to create small crumbles.
While sausage is cooking, wash, and prepare asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk eggs and cream together with more salt and pepper. Stir in half the grated cheese.
Once asparagus is tender to your liking, reduce heat, and pour over the egg and cheese mixture. Gently stir the eggs in with the sausage and asparagus to coat everything evenly. Cook until the eggs around the edges start to cook. Top with remaining cheese and transfer to hot oven and bake until completely set.
Once the frittata is completely baked, cool before cutting and serving. Serve warm.
Any frittata leftovers can be stored in the fridge, covered for up to 4 days.
I love using these leftovers in a sandwich, breakfast burrito, or just as is. Either way, you can get creative and enjoy this meal for several days.
More Savory Breakfast Recipes to Try!
Check out my other savory breakfast recipes too! Here are some:
- Breakfast Casserole
- Avocado Toast
- Hash Brown Egg Cups
- Eggs Benedict with Brown Butter Hollandaise Sauce
So that’s it, an easy and mouth-watering Frittata recipe, ready for you to customize and devour!
The printable recipe card is below, enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 oz breakfast sausage
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 1 cup gruyere cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large cast iron or nonstick skillet, start browning breakfast sausage in butter over medium heat. Break sausage apart as it cooks to create small crumbles.
- While sausage is cooking, wash asparagus. Snap woody ends off and discard. Chop remaining asparagus tips into smaller, bite size pieces and add to the pan with sausage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and cream together with more salt and pepper. Stir in half the grated cheese.
- Once asparagus is tender to your liking, reduce heat to medium low and pour over the egg and cheese mixture. Gently stir the eggs in with the sausage and asparagus to coat everything evenly. Cook about 2 minutes on the stove until the eggs around the edges start to cook. Top with remaining cheese and transfer to hot oven and bake until completely set, about 12 minutes.
- Once frittata is completely baked, cool 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve warm.