An Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe you can prepare ahead, let sit overnight then bake in the morning! Made with hash browns, sausage, and eggs.
Can’t choose between all of the delicious breakfast foods to have in the morning? Why not have all of them in this delicious Breakfast Casserole Recipe! Cheese, sausage, egg and hash browns, this breakfast casserole has it all. Plus you can make it ahead the night before and bake it in the morning. Not to mention it serves eight so it’s perfect for the whole family.
I love these all-in-one breakfast casseroles! They are not only super simple to throw together, they are delicious and feed a crowd too. Whether you’re making a special treat for the holidays, a potluck, or just want a hearty breakfast with all the good stuff, this is the ticket! My husband adores this casserole because of the protein, but I love it because of the crispy, buttery hash browns on the bottom! So good!
Breakfast Casserole Recipe
The toughest part about this casserole recipe is that you have to bake the hashbrowns separately before you bake the filling. But other than that, this is a simple dump and bake breakfast casserole. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – this is used for flavor, to grease the pan and to brown the hashbrowns.
- Frozen Hashbrowns – if you can’t find frozen hashbrowns, you can also use frozen tater tots.
- Eggs – ten whole eggs! To make this with less cholesterol you can sub out half of the whole eggs for egg whites.
- Breakfast Sausage – cooked and crumbled. Here’s a link to my Homemade Breakfast Sausage.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste!
- Cheddar Cheese – if you have another cheese option (pepper jack) that you love with breakfast feel free to use it instead of cheddar.
- Parsely or Green Onions – chopped and for garnish. This is totally optional.
- More Additions – this recipe is super customizable, so try adding some bell peppers or anything else you like.
How to Make Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour melted butter into the bottom of a 9×13 glass dish. Using a pastry brush, brush butter across the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Add an even layer of hashbrowns across the bottom and bake 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sausage, salt, and pepper together. Pour over warm hashbrowns and sprinkle with cheese. Bake another 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Top with parsley or chopped green onion, cut into squares and serve warm.
Breakfast Casserole leftovers should be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, simple pop a square into the microwave for about a minute or until heated to your liking.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
To make this recipe easier for you to make in the morning while you’re still trying to wake up, you can prepare a lot of things the night before.
- Start by greasing your casserole dish and baking the hashbrowns. After that is done, let the dish cool completely. Cover and store in the fridge.
- While the hashbrowns are baking you can cook and crumble your sausage, then store in a Ziploc bag until ready to use in the morning. You can also shred your cheese if you aren’t using the pre-shredded stuff.
- All that’s left to do in the morning would be to whisk the eggs and all the other ingredients together. Then top the hashbrowns with the egg mixture and bake until the eggs are set. Super easy right?
If you REALLY want to make this breakfast casserole recipe ahead of time, you can freeze it!
To Freeze. Simply follow the instructions all the way through. Cool completely, then cover with foil and store in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
To Reheat. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then bake at 350 degrees until heated through. This takes about 20 minutes.
Perfect for the Holidays
Imagine waking up and making this quick, easy and filling breakfast for your family to start out the day on the right foot. Make this for Easter morning, Christmas morning, or any morning for a special start to your day.
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes!
- Southwest Egg and Tater Tot Casserole
- Crockpot Smoked Sausage & Hashbrown Casserole
- Perfect French Toast Casserole
An Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe you can prepare ahead, let sit overnight then bake in the morning! Made with hashbrowns, sausage, and eggs.
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 cups frozen hashbrowns shredded preferred
- 10 large eggs beaten
- 12 oz. breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- chopped parsley or green onion (optional garnish)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pour melted butter into the bottom of a 9x13 glass dish. Using a pastry brush, brush butter across the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Add an even layer of hashbrowns across the bottom and bake 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sausage, salt, and pepper together. Pour over warm hashbrowns and sprinkle with cheese. Bake another 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
Top with parsley or chopped green onion, cut into squares and serve warm.