This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Enjoy your hash browns, sausage and eggs all together in this easy, Classic Breakfast Casserole Recipe. Make it morning of or prepare it ahead, both are equally delicious! Extra special enjoyed with Orange Rolls and Crockpot Hot Chocolate.
Breakfast Casserole | An Easy Way to Enjoy Breakfast!
I love these classically delicious, all-in-one breakfast casseroles! They are not only super simple to throw together, they are delicious and feed a crowd. Whether you’re making a special treat for the holidays, a potluck, or just want a hearty breakfast with all the good stuff, this is the ticket! My husband adores this casserole because of the protein, but I love it because of the crispy, buttery hash browns on the bottom! So good!
Perfect for the Holidays
I know a lot of my readers enjoy making this for special occasions and holidays! This breakfast casserole is extremely popular around Easter and Christmas. It’s certainly a special and delicious way to start to your day.
Main Ingredients Needed
The toughest part about this casserole recipe is that you have to bake the hashbrowns separately before you bake the filling. But other than that, this is a simple dump and bake breakfast casserole. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – this is used for flavor, to grease the pan and to brown and crisp the hash browns.
- Frozen Hash Browns – if you can’t find frozen hash browns, you can also use frozen tater tots.
- Eggs – ten whole eggs! To make this with less cholesterol you can sub out half of the whole eggs for egg whites.
- Breakfast Sausage – cooked and crumbled. You can use store bought or homemade.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste!
- Cheddar Cheese – if you have another cheese option that you love with breakfast, feel free to use it instead of cheddar.
- Parsley or Green Onions – used for garnish. This is totally optional.
How to Make Breakfast Casserole | Directions
You are only three easy steps away from enjoying this hearty and filling breakfast! Here’s how to do it:
Step 1: Bake the Hash Browns
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour melted butter into the bottom of a 9×13 pan and using a pastry brush, brush the butter across the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
Add an even layer of frozen hash browns across the bottom and bake 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly.
Step 2: Prepare and Add the Eggs & Sausage
In a large bowl, whisk eggs with cooked and crumbled sausage, salt and pepper. Pour over baked hash browns and top with cheese. Bake another 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
Step 3: Cut into Pieces and Enjoy!
After the eggs are set, remove from oven, cool 10 minutes, top with green onion and parsley, but into pieces and enjoy warm!
Breakfast Casserole leftovers should be covered and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat, simply pop a square into the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until heated through.
If you REALLY want to make this breakfast casserole recipe ahead of time, you can freeze it!
To Freeze. Simply follow the instructions all the way through. Cool completely, then cover with foil and store in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
To Reheat. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then bake at 350 degrees until heated through. This takes about 20 minutes.
Make it Overnight
Believe it or not, you can prep a good chunk of this recipe the night before to make baking this in the morning a cinch. Here’s how to make an overnight version of this breakfast casserole:
- Bake the hash browns according to recipe directions. After that is done, let the dish cool completely. Cover and store in the fridge.
- Cook and crumble the breakfast sausage. Drain, cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- In the morning, whisk your eggs, add the sausage, pour into the pre-baked hash browns and top with cheese.
- Bake as usual and enjoy!
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes!
- Southwest Egg and Tater Tot Casserole
- Crockpot Smoked Sausage & Hashbrown Casserole
- Perfect French Toast Casserole
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 cups frozen hashbrowns shredded preferred
- 10 large eggs beaten
- 12 oz. breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- chopped parsley or green onion (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour melted butter into the bottom of a 9×13 glass dish. Using a pastry brush, brush butter across the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Add an even layer of hashbrowns across the bottom and bake 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sausage, salt, and pepper together. Pour over warm hashbrowns and sprinkle with cheese. Bake another 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Top with parsley or chopped green onion, cut into squares and serve warm.