This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You won’t believe how easy it is to make Homemade Microwave Popcorn! All you need is a few popcorn kernels and a brown paper bag. That’s it! Just follow these super simple directions for air popped popcorn without a popper. For more snack ideas <– see here!
Homemade Microwave Popcorn | Easy!
This is a simple recipe for homemade microwave popcorn minus all the chemicals and things that I don’t particularly like eating all the time. Much more economical and you can customize it to how you like it. All you need is a large brown paper bag (like a large lunch bag) or glass bowl and 2 minutes!
Main Ingredients Needed
With just three ingredients you can have homemade microwave popcorn worthy to grace any movie night! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Popcorn Kernels – you can find plain popcorn kernels in the snack aisle next to the boxed microwave popcorn.
- Butter – just regular butter here for a classic movie theatre flavor.
- Salt – and don’t forget the salt! Add more or less depending on how you like it.
But you don’t have to make classic popcorn if you don’t want to. Search your spice cabinet high and low to create your own unique popcorn experience.
- Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder + Parmesan Cheese: these all come together to create a tasty Italian-inspired snack.
- Smoked Salt: for a pleasant smokey flavor to your popcorn.
- Cajun Seasoning: it can be quite salty so add little bits at a time until you reach your desired saltiness.
- Cinnamon Sugar: for a sweet option.
- Pumpkin Spice: this would be perfect in the fall!
- Chili Lime Seasoning: a little heat and a little zing.
- Ranch Seasoning: who doesn’t love ranch-flavored anything?
- Chili or Cayenne Pepper: for those of you who like things spicy!
How to Make Homemade Microwave Popcorn
For full details on how to make homemade microwave popcorn, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Pour Popcorn Kernels into a Container
Pour kernels into a plain brown paper bag. Crimp/fold the top of the bag over itself and place it on its side in the microwave.
Pour kernels into a glass bowl. Cover with a microwave-safe lid (a glass plate works really well). Place in the microwave.
Cook Popcorn Kernels
Cook on high for 1-2 minutes or until the popping slows to 5 second intervals. Every microwave is different and depending on the wattage, yours will be either a little shorter or a little longer. You’ll have to experiment to see where the sweet spot is for your microwave, but 1:30 is a good place to start.
Toss with Seasonings
Remove from microwave, open carefully (its really hot!) and toss with butter and seasonings.
More Popcorn Recipes to Try!
This is seriously the best snack to make. It’s easy, fast and so versatile. Everyone gets the flavor they want, it’s perfect for a movie night.
Anyways, the printable recipe card is down below, be sure to save it because it’s a good one! Enjoy:)
Homemade Microwave Popcorn Recipe
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- salt to taste
- Pour kernels into a plain brown paper bag or a glass bowl with a microwave-safe lid (a glass plate works great). Crimp/fold the top of the bag over itself and place it on its side in the microwave.
- Cook on high for 1-2 minutes or until the popping slows to 5-second intervals.
- Remove from microwave, carefully open, and toss with butter and salt.
- Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder + Parmesan Cheese
- Smoked Salt
- Cajun Seasoning
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Pumpkin Spice
- Chili Lime Seasoning
- Ranch Seasoning
- Chili or Cayenne Pepper