This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Bagel Sandwich is everything you love about a bagel sandwich minus all the guilt! Perfect for Keto diet or if you’re counting Macros.
I followed Jess’s Low Carb Bagel recipe as close as I could and then toasted up the centers and added in vegetable cream cheese (extra fat), turkey lunch meat (protein), and a whole pile of veggies: cucumber, tomato, sweet pea shoots, and avocado. Sandwich heaven, people! Seriously, try it out.
Let’s talk about this Low Carb Bagel Sandwich…
If you have read my blog for any amount of time, you will know I am in love with bread and give people who don’t like bread some serious side-eye. WHOAREYOU? (Who doesn’t like bread though?)
Anyways, since I’m on day 4 of my lower carb, higher protein diet and still wanting some french bread and a piece of chocolate pie (and some Cheetos if I’m being honest), I decided to take matters into my own hands and create my own low carb bread. Actually, I consulted with my friend Jessica who led me to her low carb bagels on her site that had me baking in 0.2 seconds. She was the catalyst that started dinner plans working in my mind. Is there anything better than a bagel sandwich? When you’re eating low carb, I submit there is not.
The bagel recipe is simple to follow and takes 15 minutes or less to bake in the oven. Its basis is mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond meal, and eggs. Seems like a strange combination, but most definitely bakes up perfectly and browns really well.
Here’s what I put on my bagel sandwich:
- Vegetable Cream Cheese – you could use regular cream cheese for this, I just opted for the vegetable spread because I like the flavor.
- Smoked Deli Turkey – once again, feel free to sub out with whatever kind of meat you’d like.
- Cucumber – refreshing and crunchy, these are a great addition to this sandwich.
- Avocados – a good type of fat that is slightly creamy. It’s a nice contrast to the juicier veggies.
- Tomatoes – for color and flavor, tomatoes are a must!
- Sweet Pea Shoots – these are the bomb. Normally I opt for alfalfa sprouts or a microgreen, but I tried them today and I’m converted. I really liked them.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning – The Everything Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joes definitely adds to the ‘this is totally a normal bagel‘ trickery, though I’m sure would be ok without, especially if you’re filling it with sandwich toppings.
How to Make Low Carb Bagels
For all of the details for making Low Carb Bagels check out The Novice Chef! But I’ll give you a quick summary of how these bagels are made.
- You basically melt and mix mozzarella and cream cheese together.
- Then you add almond flour and eggs for structure! You have to use your hands to mix and form and things get messy, but the overall outcome in my carb deprived experience was well worth it.
- After that, you top the bagel rounds with Everything Bagel Seasoning and bake away!
The results are pretty incredible. Low carb bread that tastes like high carb bread = winning at life. I’ve included a few photos of the bagels before and after baking and the tutorial video found here is super helpful!
Assemble your Bagel Sandwich
Feel free to replace any of the bagel sandwich fillings with what you like in bagel sandwiches!
Make bagels, according to directions. Cool.
Slice 6 bagels in half and place on a baking sheet, cut side face up. Broil until bagels start to lightly brown. Remove from the oven.
Spread some cream cheese on each bottom half of each bagel. Top with turkey, cucumber slices, avocado slices, tomato, and sweet pea shoots. Top with a toasted bagel, and serve.
That, my friends, was the most epic and delicious low carb bagel sandwich I’ve ever eaten. My kids weren’t too thrilled, but that was mostly about the tomatoes.
More Low Carb Recipes to Try!
Printable recipe below. Have a great day!
Low Carb Bagel Sandwich
- 1 recipe Low Carb Bagels
- 6 tablespoons vegetable cream cheese
- 12 oz. smoked deli turkey thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber thinly sliced
- 2 small avocados thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sweet pea shoots
- Make low carb bagels, according to directions. Cool.
- Slice 6 bagels in half and place on baking sheet, cut side face up. Broil until bagels start to lightly brown. Remove from oven.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese on each bottom half of each bagel. Top with turkey, 1/4 cup cucumber slices, avocado slices, tomato, and sweet pea shoots. Top with a toasted bagel, and serve.