This No Bake Cookies recipe has been in my husband’s family for the last 50 years! You only need one pot and ten minutes to make them. A sweet dessert everyone loves!
These No Bake Cookies are the perfect dessert when you’re short on time. You just need a stovetop to boil these suckers and voila–10 minutes to a whole huge batch of awesome delectable cookies. The flavor of these is to die for- chocolate and peanut butter, a classic combination! (A deadly combination, in my opinion.) And the oats add great texture as well. YUM.
My husband grew up eating these and they probably are his all-time favorites. This is a recipe his mom (my mother in law) has been making for over 50 years. It’s a family recipe that has literally been passed down through generations. I usually make regular sized cookies and then one huge cookie just for my husband. I suppose it makes him feel good because he could say “I only ate one cookie today!” HAHA.
These no bake cookies have been so popular for so many years because they are 1. delicious 2. easy 3. fast 4. delicious 5. and did I mention delicious? Yup! Super good any way you look at it!
How to make No Bake Cookies
Start out with granulated sugar and butter in a pot. Add in some milk and set over the heat to boil.
While that butter and sugar mixture is cooking away, get the rest of your ingredients ready: oats, cocoa powder, peanut butter, and vanilla.
After the butter, sugar, and milk have boiled, remove from heat, stir in the pre-measured ingredients and scoop onto wax paper or silicone mats.
The cookies will be ready when they have set and peel cleanly from the wax paper. No refrigeration required!
Tips for making the best no bake cookies
- Do not use all natural peanut butter for this recipe; It prevents the cookies from setting completely. So reach for the Jif or Skippy smooth peanut butter.
- Once the milk and butter and sugar mixture come to a boil, start a timer for one minute. You want the sugar to dissolve completely within that minute because it helps set the cookies. Also, if you don’t melt the sugar completely, you will get that granulated sugar texture in the cookie.
- For best results, use old fashioned rolled oats. If you only have the quick cooking kind of oats, reduce the amount by 1/4 cup.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder. For this recipe, I used the Hershey’s specialty dark cocoa, but any regular cocoa powder will work perfectly, as long as it is unsweetened.
No Bake Cookies
This No Bake Cookies recipe has been in my husband's family for the last 50 years! You only need one pot and ten minutes to make them. A sweet dessert everyone loves!
- In a large pot, bring butter, milk, and sugar to boil. Stir while boiling 1 minute. Remove from heat. Quickly stir in remaining ingredients until combined. Immediately scoop into cookies and place on waxed paper or aluminum foil. Allow 5-10 minutes to set and cool.
- **Its a good idea to have all the ingredients you stir into the boiled mixture pre-measured, so the process is quick and the cookie 'batter' comes together properly.