This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Pumpkin Pie Bars are to die for! They have a buttery shortbread bottom and are topped with chocolate chips, walnuts, and caramel.
Pumpkin Pie Bars
These little Pumpkin Pie Bars are to die for and are perfect for the season. The shortbread bottom is tender and buttery. The pumpkin filling is basically a smooth and tender pumpkin pie filling. And of course, I had to top the whole thing off with chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, and caramel sauce. Everything works together lovely and isn’t overly sweet.
Main Ingredients Needed
- All-Purpose Flour – to fill out the shortbread.
- Granulated Sugar – to sweeten.
- Butter – softened, this brings all the dry ingredients together.
- Salt – to balance out the sweet.
- Vanilla – to flavor.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Purred Pumpkin – it isn’t pumpkin pie without pumpkin!
- Brown Sugar – to sweeten with the flavoring of molasses.
- Cinnamon – to flavor.
- Ground Nutmeg – once again to flavor. Nutmeg and cinnamon are a classic combo to flavor pumpkin desserts.
- All-Purpose Flour – this helps to stabilize the fillings without using eggs!
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – you could even use mini chocolate chips here so every bite has some chocolate flavor.
- Toasted Walnuts – toasting the nuts really brings out their flavor but it’s optional!
- Caramel Sauce – I used Hershey’s Caramel Sauce that’s meant for ice cream.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8 square dish with parchment paper or foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for shortbread until moist. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a different large bowl, whisk together ingredients for pumpkin filling. Stir until smooth. Pour over the shortbread and smooth the top. Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips over top and press lightly into filling. Drizzle caramel sauce over top of the entire dessert.
- Bake 45 minutes to an hour or until pumpkin filling has set. Cool Pumpkin Pie Bars completely before removing. Cut into 16 equal squares and serve. (*I happened to put mine into the fridge and ate a piece cold and actually preferred it that way! So maybe give that a try to see if you’d like that better than warm or at room temperature.)
Tips and Tricks
If you are taking these Pumpkin Pie Bars to a function of some sort and want them to look good, I’d recommend lining your 8×8 dish with parchment or foil for easy removal and waiting until they are completely cool before removing and cutting. I did not wait because I have no self-control and they looked a little sloppy. If you want them to look pretty, then wait!
Also, all the toppings are optional! However, if you are smart, you won’t leave any out because these bars are just fabulous with all three.
More Pumpkin Bar Recipes to Try!
- Pumpkin Pie Cheerios Bars
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Blondie Bars
So, there you have it, folks! Delicious and festive Pumpkin Pie Bars that will please even the picky eaters in your house!
Printable recipe card is below, happy baking 🙂
Pumpkin Pie Bars
for the shortbread base-
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the pumpkin filling-
- 1 1/2 cups pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
for the toppings-
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce I used Hershey's Caramel Sauce--meant for ice cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8x8 square dish with parchment paper or foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for shortbread until moist. Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a different large bowl, whisk together ingredients for pumpkin filling. Stir until smooth. Pour over shortbread and smooth the top. Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips over top and press lightly into filling. Drizzle caramel sauce over top of entire dessert.
- Bake 45 minutes to an hour or until pumpkin filling has set. Cool completely before removing. Cut into 16 equal squares and serve. (*I happened to put mine into the fridge and ate a piece cold and actually preferred it that way! So maybe give that a try to see if you'd like that better than warm or at room temperature.)
Are there no eggs in this pie filling or do you use clearjell instead?
These are so good! The best part is so easy to make!
These sound so amazing for this season…..Well really for any time of year when you love pumpkin like my family does. Can’t wait to make it soon.
Thank for all your hard work on our behalf.
Can’t wait to try this recipe. Having son and grandson coming down from IN to FL for Thanksgiving. When he was little he came up to me and gave me a big hug then said”Mom do you know why I love you? Because you make pumpkin pie. So I am sure he will love these.
Just made your pumpkin sugar cookies last week and now I can’t wait to make these! Give me all the pumpkin!
These look to die for – am going to be making them soon!!! 🙂
These look delicious!! Can’t wait to make these!!😋
I am definitely making these and i’m the only one in the family that likes pumpkin. Big win for me and these look amazingly delicious.
I definitely want to make these! They look delish!
Oh yum! My whole family would go crazy for these pumpkin bars. This recipe looks super easy and full of ingredients my family loves.
Loved the taste of these bars, Next time i’m going to double the filling.
thanks for a great recipe!
Looking forward for more recipes!
why can’t I pin from your page? I see you use pinterest
Sounds heavenly! Doesn’t the filling need an egg to hold it all together?
This were amazing!! So easy to make and after chilling in the fridge all night were seriously to die for the next day! Thank you for this recipe!
glad you liked them 🙂
Yep, these are to die for, they truly are. As perfect as a pumpkin bar can get.