This Homemade Ice Cream Cake recipe is better than a store bought one from Dairy Queen, guaranteed!!
This ice cream cake recipe, guys, I switched things up this year for Gordon’s birthday cake this past weekend! It was so so good and way easier than I originally thought.
So ice cream cake is made up of a few different parts:
- The actual ice cream. I used two 1.5 quart containers of Breyer’s ice cream; one chocolate and one vanilla.
- The filling. Falling in love with dairy queen crunch cakes at an early age, I’ve learned that magic shell and chocolate wafer crackers aren’t going to cut it for me! Plus, I could make it better 😉 So I used OREO thins and hot fudge sauce. And it was so freaking good. That was my favorite part of the cake.
- The frosting. I was going to use marshmallow fluff, but then upon further investigation I realized it would have frozen pretty solid. I didn’t want to chance it. So, I just used whipped cream. My husband doesn’t like whipped cream (who are you?) so he ate around it. But it worked perfectly!
You can read all about how to put this cake together below in the recipe card and catch my tips and tricks below.
Have a great day, friends! And even if its no one’s birthday, why not make an ice cream cake today? The filling along is worth it!
Recipe Tips and Links
(some affiliate links below)
I used these cake pans and lined the heck out of them with plastic wrap. Then added my ice cream and froze them separately.
I also froze my cake plate for about an hour before I assembled the entire thing.
Because I got rid of all my cake decorating tools, this cake looks pretty darn plain, but I sort of like it that way! If you do want more decorations, I’d recommend this 1M piping tip for large rosettes and these.
Feel free to use any kind of ice cream!! After making this with chocolate and vanilla, my husband requested a double chocolate ice cream layer next year. So, I’ll see what I can do 😉 Cookie dough ice cream would also be amazing (my favorite!!).
PS–if ice cream cake isn’t your thing, give my perfect chocolate cake recipe a try with accompanying frosting. It’s one of my most popular recipes! Another recipe to try is my Salted Caramel Apple Crumble Recipe for those who love baked apples, crumbly toppings, and a gooey salted caramel sauce. Enjoy!
Homemade Ice Cream Crunch Cake
Homemade Ice Cream Crunch Cake is better than a store bought one from Dairy Queen, guaranteed!!
- 1.5 quart container vanilla ice cream
- 1.5 quart container chocolate ice cream
- 3/4 cup hot fudge sauce
- 12 OREO thins crushed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- rainbow sprinkles or other decorations as desired.
Remove ice cream from the freezer and defrost about 15 minutes.
While ice cream is softening, line two 8-inch cake pans well with plastic wrap, leaving several inches of overhang.
Spoon soft ice cream into each prepared pan, pressing down to remove air bubbles as you go. Cover with plastic wrap and press down evenly to smooth the top. Freeze for 8-12 hours or until hardened.
1 hour before assembling cake, place serving platter into freezer. (Make sure your platter can freeze!)
Place heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into a large bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
To assemble cake: remove ice cream layers and serving platter from freezer. Unwrap the tops of the ice cream layers and using the excess plastic wrap, remove layers from pans. Place chocolate layer on the bottom. Smooth an even layer of hot fudge over the chocolate layer, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Sprinkle crushed OREO thins over hot fudge and press down gently. Add vanilla layer overtop. Spread whipped cream overtop of the entire cake, add sprinkles as desired and freeze until ready to serve.
Other recipes you might like: