This Homemade Ice Cream Cake recipe is better than a store bought one from Dairy Queen, guaranteed!! Filled with Oreos and hot fudge, this is sure to be a big crowd-pleaser!
I switched things up this year for Gordon’s birthday cake this past weekend and made this very delicious ice cream cake! It was so so good and way easier than I originally thought.
Ice cream cake Recipe
The Ice Cream
I used two 1.5 quart containers of Breyer’s ice cream; one chocolate and one vanilla. That’s 3 whole quarts of ice cream OR 3/4ths of a gallon!
Falling in love with dairy queen crunch cakes at an early age, I’ve learned that magic shell and chocolate wafer crackers aren’t going to cut it for me! Plus, I could make it better 😉 So I used OREO thins and hot fudge sauce. And it was so freaking good. That was my favorite part of the cake.
I was going to use marshmallow fluff, but then upon further investigation, I realized it would have frozen pretty solid. I didn’t want to chance it. So, I just used whipped cream. My husband doesn’t like whipped cream (who are you?) so he ate around it. But it worked perfectly!
How to make Ice Cream Cake
- Line two 8-inch cake pans with plastic wrap.
- Spoon softened ice cream into prepared pans, pressing out air bubbles as you go.
- Freeze two layers in the freezer for 8-12 hours.
- One hour before assembly, freeze cake plate.
- Unwrap and place one layer onto a cake plate.
- Add crushed cookies and hot fudge (that hasn’t been heated up!)
- Top with the second layer.
- Frost with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired.
- Freeze until completely hardened.
- Cut using a large knife dipped in hot water.
Different Flavor Combinations
- Mint Chocolate Chip: Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream + crushed thin mint cookies + hot fudge filling
- Butter Pecan: Butter Pecan ice cream + chopped pecans and shortbread cookies + butterscotch filling
- Chocolate Brownie: Chocolate Brownie ice cream + chopped brownie filling + chocolate sauce filling
- Reese’s: Reese’s Peanut Butter Ice Cream + chopped Reese’s Peanut butter cups and chopped peanuts + hot fudge sauce filling
- Ultimate Oreo: Oreo ice cream + chopped Oreos + hot fudge filling
So try this Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe out today! Whether it’s for a birthday, a BBQ, an anniversary or just because, this recipe is sure to bring a smile to your face. 🙂
Printable recipe card is below as well as a super helpful video! Enjoy!
Love ice cream? Try these other recipes:
- Peanut Butter Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream Cake
- Perfect Chocolate Cake Recipe
Homemade Ice Cream Cake
This Homemade Ice Cream Cake recipe is better than store bought, guaranteed!! Filled with Oreos and hot fudge, this is the ultimate dessert.
Remove ice cream from the freezer and defrost about 15 minutes.
While ice cream is softening, line two 8-inch cake pans well with plastic wrap, leaving several inches of overhang.
Spoon soft ice cream into each prepared pan, pressing down to remove air bubbles as you go. Cover with plastic wrap and press down evenly to smooth the top. Freeze for 8-12 hours or until hardened.
1 hour before assembling cake, place serving platter into freezer. (Make sure your platter can freeze!)
Place heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into a large bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
To assemble cake: remove ice cream layers and serving platter from freezer. Unwrap the tops of the ice cream layers and using the excess plastic wrap, remove layers from pans. Place chocolate layer on the bottom. Smooth an even layer of hot fudge over the chocolate layer, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Sprinkle crushed OREO thins over hot fudge and press down gently. Add vanilla layer overtop. Spread whipped cream overtop of the entire cake, add sprinkles as desired and freeze until ready to serve.