This Homemade Ice Cream Cake recipe is better than a store bought one from Dairy Queen, guaranteed!! Filled with vanilla and chocolate ice cream, plus crushed Oreos and hot fudge, this is sure to be a big crowd-pleaser!
I switched things up this year for Gordon’s birthday cake this past weekend and made this very delicious ice cream cake! Having a summer birthday has its perks and ice cream cake is just one of them which we all are not mad about. It was so so good and way easier to make at home than I thought.
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This no-bake, super simple recipe is made up of three different parts. All equally important and delicious.
The Ice Cream
I used two 1.5 quart containers of Breyer’s ice cream; one chocolate and one vanilla. That’s 3 whole quarts of ice cream OR 3/4ths of a gallon if you’re counting. See my variations below to switch things up.
Falling in love with dairy queen crunch cakes at an early age, I’ve learned that magic shell and chocolate wafer crackers aren’t going to cut it for me! Plus, I could make it better 😉 So I used crushed OREO thins and store bought hot fudge sauce. And it was so freaking good. It was decided by all that that was the most delicious part of the cake.
I was going to use marshmallow fluff, but then upon further investigation, I realized it would have frozen pretty solid. I didn’t want to chance it. So, I just used whipped cream. My husband doesn’t like whipped cream (who are you?) so he ate around it. But it worked perfectly and tasted delicious. Easy to spread, easy to slice and added a little extra creamy bite.
How to make Ice Cream Cake
There are lots of different methods, sizes and shapes of ice cream cakes out there. I tried to make mine as simple and straight forward as possible, using 8 inch metal cake pans lined with plastic wrap (for easy removal) and store bought everything. When you’re planning a party, who has time to home make EVERYTHING?! Not this girl.
- Line two 8-inch cake pans with plastic wrap.
- Spoon softened ice cream into prepared pans, pressing out air bubbles as you go.
- Freeze two layers in the freezer for 8-12 hours.
- One hour before assembly, freeze cake plate.
- Unwrap and place one layer onto a cake plate.
- Add crushed cookies and hot fudge (that hasn’t been heated up!)
- Top with the second layer.
- Frost with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired.
- Freeze until completely hardened.
- Cut using a large knife dipped in hot water.
Be sure to watch my video tutorial below to ensure success. And, if you happen to be working in a warmer kitchen, don’t be afraid to assemble the cake first, freeze again and then finish frosting and decorating.
Different Flavor Combinations
- Mint Chocolate Chip: Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream + crushed thin mint cookies + hot fudge filling
- Butter Pecan: Butter Pecan ice cream + chopped pecans and shortbread cookies + butterscotch filling
- Chocolate Brownie: Chocolate Brownie ice cream + chopped brownie filling + chocolate sauce filling
- Reese’s: Reese’s Peanut Butter Ice Cream + chopped Reese’s Peanut butter cups and chopped peanuts + hot fudge sauce filling
- Ultimate Oreo: Oreo ice cream + chopped Oreos + hot fudge filling
So try this Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe out today! Whether it’s for a birthday, a BBQ, an anniversary or just because, this recipe is sure to bring a smile to your face. 🙂
Printable recipe card is below as well as a super helpful video! Enjoy!
Homemade Ice Cream Cake
This Homemade Ice Cream Cake recipe is better than store bought, guaranteed!! Filled with Oreos and hot fudge, this is the ultimate dessert.
Remove ice cream from the freezer and defrost about 15 minutes.
While ice cream is softening, line two 8-inch cake pans well with plastic wrap, leaving several inches of overhang.
Spoon soft ice cream into each prepared pan, pressing down to remove air bubbles as you go. Cover with plastic wrap and press down evenly to smooth the top. Freeze for 8-12 hours or until hardened.
1 hour before assembling cake, place serving platter into freezer. (Make sure your platter can freeze!)
Place heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into a large bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
To assemble cake: remove ice cream layers and serving platter from freezer. Unwrap the tops of the ice cream layers and using the excess plastic wrap, remove layers from pans. Place chocolate layer on the bottom. Smooth an even layer of hot fudge over the chocolate layer, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Sprinkle crushed OREO thins over hot fudge and press down gently. Add vanilla layer overtop. Spread whipped cream overtop of the entire cake, add sprinkles as desired and freeze until ready to serve.