This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This three-ingredient Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts recipe is a delicious vegetable side dish. A brown, crispy exterior with a tender middle. They are a perfect and simple accompaniment to any dinner.
Brussels Sprouts: What to Buy
This roasted brussel sprouts recipe is a simple three-ingredient recipe. You’ll probably have olive oil, salt, and pepper on hand and will only need to buy the brussel sprouts! You have some options to choose from so consider these things before buying:
- Size – the bigger they are the more time they’ll take to roast. You can cut down this time by buying smaller rounds and by chopping them in half.
- Prep Work – you are going to have to wash, cut and prep each little sprout. To make this process even faster you can buy brussels sprouts that are already trimmed and ready to go. Just make sure to cut off the stump at the end and that no outer layers look gross. If there are some, simply peel them away.
- Frozen or Fresh – I would not recommend using frozen brussels sprouts for this recipe. I’d either go with some on the stalk or even the bagged brussels sprouts that are trimmed and washed.
Customize Your Brussels Sprouts
You can customize this side dish by adding some delicious add-ins. Try adding parmesan for a cheesy twist or cajun seasoning in the place of salt and pepper. For an even more crunchy texture, you can add panko breadcrumbs.
What are some other ways you’ve customized this recipe? Let me know in the comments below 🙂
How to Roast Brussel Sprouts
For full details on how to roast brussel sprouts in the oven, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Preheat + Prep
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
There is no need to soak brussel sprouts before roasting. To prepare them, simply wash brussels sprouts, peel outer (dirty) leaves, and trim bottoms. Discard these extra leaves and pieces. Halve clean brussels sprouts and place them onto a baking sheet.
Drizzle with Olive Oil + Seasonings
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat thoroughly. Then you’re going to want to spread these out into a single layer, all facing flat side down. This is to ensure even roasting. If they are too close, they end up steaming each other, so don’t overcrowd either.
Roast In the Oven
Roast Brussel Sprouts 20-25 minutes, or until brown and tender to your liking. (I turn mine after 20 minutes and bake another 5-10.)
How to prevent bitterness:
Overcooking brussel sprouts leads to bitterness. To prevent this my suggestions are to:
- not overcrowd or overlap
- halve and cut each piece down so they are as uniform in size as possible
- flip during baking
How to Serve Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Besides eating this dish plain, you can use and enjoy roasted brussel sprouts in a variety of ways. Consider these recipes from the site:
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Cashews
- Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
- Warm Asparagus & Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Spaghetti with Bacon, Brussels Sprouts and Artichokes.
You can even make a dipping sauce! A sweet balsamic syrup is super tasty with roasted brussel sprouts. Or have them as a side with these main dishes:
Storing + Reheating Roasted Brussel Sprouts
This is a great make-ahead recipe because leftovers can last in the fridge for up to 4 days. Seal in an airtight container to keep the freshness to a maximum. However, keep in mind that roasted brussel sprouts get a little smelly the older they get. So maybe make these a day ahead of time at most.
Reheat in the oven, in a skillet, or in the microwave. The microwave is the fastest but will leave them a bit soggy while the skillet and oven work best for warming.
More Side Dishes to Try!
Be sure to check out all of my vegetable side dishes <– here!
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy friends!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound brussel sprouts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash brussels sprouts, peel outer (dirty) leaves and trim bottoms. Discard these extra leaves and pieces. Halve clean brussels sprouts and place onto a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat thoroughly and turn all pieces to be cut side down.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until brown and tender to your liking. (I turn mine after 20 minutes and bake another 5-10.)