This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This recipe for Baked Chicken Legs is a simple and delicious dinner. Rub with a little olive oil, homemade spice rub and bake.
So so happy to be sharing this easy Baked Chicken Legs recipe today! This little gem of a recipe is one of our family’s favorite dinners and it only takes 10 minutes of prep. Make a Greek Salad, Mashed Potatoes or some Drop Biscuits to go along with for an easy weeknight meal.
Seriously the Best Baked Chicken Legs
I’m not one to buy chicken legs very frequently because its habit for me to reach for the boneless skinless chicken breasts. But man oh man I forget how inexpensive chicken legs are, how easy they are to throw together on a busy weeknight and that all my kids eat them no problem. I think a lot of times, people see the drumsticks at the grocery store and just don’t know what to do with them so they pass them by completely. But I’m here to tell you that the simple approach is best and making a really basic spice rub to sprinkle over top is where the magic happens. A hot temperature crisps the skin, locking in moisture and flavor, leaving you with some seriously tasty baked chicken legs!
I’ve got some step by step photos below to walk you through the process, but I promise it’s super simple!
This list is kind of laughable. It’s literally just the chicken drumsticks and then a bunch of spices for the homemade spice mix. (More notes on that below!) Told you this was an easy recipe.
- chicken legs/drumsticks– I used 2 pounds which comes out to be 8 legs.
- olive oil– used to help crisp the skin on the chicken as it bakes.
- salt & pepper– the obvious seasonings there are.
- onion powder– not to be confused with onion salt. They ARE different. Onion powder is just the dried and powdered onion with no salt added. Garlic powder can also work in a pinch.
- poultry seasoning– this is a great all purpose seasoning mixture for chicken. It pairs really well with the onion powder.
- paprika– used mainly for color, but feel free to use smoked paprika for a little smokey bite.
How to Bake Chicken Legs
I purposely made this recipe as easy as possible with the simplest of ingredients because I’m a busy working Mom and understand why you sometimes need a ridiculously easy dinner like a simple baked chicken drumstick.
- Start by opening up your package of chicken legs and drying them off with a paper towel. I used two pounds of chicken drumsticks which ended up being about 8.
- Now for the spice rub: in a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, onion powder, poultry seasoning, and paprika.
- On a baking sheet, rub each chicken leg with olive oil and sprinkle with the homemade spice mix. I did end up lining my baking sheet with foil because I like the easy cleanup but to each his own!
- After about 40-45 minutes in a hot oven, you should have some crispy, flavorful, golden brown chicken legs.
After the 10 minutes of prep work, this turns into the easiest recipe ever. Just let the oven do the work! While the chicken legs bake, you can make whatever sides you like so by the time you pull them out, dinner can be served right away.
A note about the homemade spice mix
Chicken in general, including these baked chicken legs, need a lot of seasoning because on their own don’t have a lot of flavor.
I don’t necessarily like adding a lot of huge and big flavors to meat, especially if I’m feeding kids (which I always am). But, that doesn’t mean this is an out for making gross chicken. I want this seasoning blend to come across as “yum that’s good and I don’t know why” instead of some random kid yelling “why did you put garlic in this?” and then storming off to their room…not that this has ever happened at my house. Ha!
I purposely kept things neutral with my flavor profiles and I’m not just talking about salt and pepper, though they definitely help. With enough of a hit of poultry seasoning, onion powder and paprika, the mixture works magically to produce really REALLY good chicken without anyone really knowing why. The cherry on top is the crispy skin you get from that rub down with olive oil. It’s really so good.
What to serve with Baked Chicken Legs:
- Butter Rice (my favorite way to make rice!)
- Classic Coleslaw Recipe
- Funeral Potatoes
- Iceberg Wedge Salad Recipe
- Best Pan Fried Potatoes
- Caprese Salad with Garlic Balsamic Dressing
So there you have it, friends! A delicious, simple dinner that everyone loves! Be sure to print/save/pin/bookmark this recipe because it’s one of those basic recipes that you’ll keep coming back to. Have a great day, friends!
Baked Chicken Legs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together all seasonings and spices.
- Open package of chicken legs and pat dry with paper towels. Place onto prepared baking sheet and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasonings on all sides.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until browned and meat thermometer registers 165 degrees or higher. Serve warm.