This recipe for Baked Chicken Legs is a simple and delicious dinner. Rub with a little olive oil, homemade spice rub and bake.
You’ve never known how much you love Baked Chicken Legs until you try this recipe!
I’m not one to buy chicken legs very frequently because its habit for me to reach for the boneless skinless chicken breasts. But man oh man I forget how inexpensive chicken legs are, how easy they are to throw together on a busy weeknight and that all my kids eat them no problem. I think a lot of times, people see the drumsticks at the grocery store and just don’t know what to do with them so they pass them by completely. But I’m here to tell you that the simple approach is best and making a really basic spice rub to sprinkle over top is where the magic happens. A hot temperature crisps the skin, locking in moisture and flavor, leaving you with some seriously tasty baked chicken legs!
I’ve got some step by step photos below to walk you through the process, but I promise it’s super simple!
How to Bake Chicken Legs
Start by opening up your package of chicken legs and drying them off with a paper towel. I used two pounds of chicken drumsticks which ended up being about 8.
Now for the spice rub: in a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, onion powder, poultry seasoning, and paprika.
On a baking sheet, rub each chicken leg with olive oil and sprinkle with the homemade spice mix. I did end up lining my baking sheet with foil because I like the easy cleanup but to each his own!
After about 40-45 minutes in a hot oven, you should have some crispy, flavorful, golden brown chicken legs.
After the 10 minutes of prep work, this turns into the easiest recipe ever. Just let the oven do the work! While the chicken legs bake, you can make whatever sides you like so by the time you pull them out, dinner can be served right away.
A delicious, simple dinner that everyone loves! Be sure to print/save/pin/bookmark this recipe because it’s one of those basic recipes that you’ll keep coming back to. Have a great day, friends!
Side Dishes to go with Chicken Legs:
- Classic Coleslaw Recipe with Homemade Coleslaw Dressing
- Funeral Potatoes
- Iceberg Wedge Salad Recipe
- Best Pan Fried Potatoes
- Caprese Salad with Garlic Balsamic Dressing
Baked Chicken Legs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together all seasonings and spices.
- Open package of chicken legs and pat dry with paper towels. Place onto prepared baking sheet and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasonings on all sides.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until browned and meat thermometer registers 165 degrees or higher. Serve warm.