Sweet Potato Cookies are soft and lightly spiced cookies make with mashed sweet potato, topped with homemade streusel and powdered sugar. Perfect dessert for Fall!
I really didn’t want to post this sweet potato cookies recipe. Like really really didn’t want to because these aren’t the prettiest photos in the world. Like these cookies are gorgeous. These ones are also pretty pretty. But these? Notsomuch.
However, after eating NINE of these over the course of 8 hours, I decided it would be in my best interest to post the recipe because they were that good. I needed to share the glory.
Now, I know what you’re thinking.
Mashed sweet potato in cookies? Gross.
But believe me when I say you are wrong!! Vegetables in cookies is actually good! I don’t eat nine cookies just for the fun of it. Usually. I need a treat that is calorically worthy enough to keep my thighs at their current size and this dessert fits the bill a little too well 😉
Mashed sweet potato is stirred into this cookie dough along with some spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Scoop these onto a baking sheet, top with a simple, homemade streusel and dusted with powdered sugar. It keeps these cookies soft and moist, plus those warm spices will have people guessing if these are pumpkin cookies which is never a bad thing, right? I asked Brooke and Blake to guess what the secret ingredient was and they guessed pumpkin. Soooo, that is winning at life, folks. Everyone loves pumpkin.
And actually, pumpkin could probably work as a great substitution in this recipe because the compositions of sweet potato vs. are so darn similar. The more you know…
Anyways, I like to top these cookies with streusel because everything tastes better with streusel, and then add some powdered sugar to fancy them up a bit and make them look more like a coffee cake 🙂
The finished product is a sweet, soft, mildly spicy and chewy cookie that will last a couple days in an airtight container, though I don’t see these lasting that long. They are that good. (I really really loved these!)
Anyways, scroll down to grab the printable version of this recipe and give these a try this weekend!!
Sweet Potato Coffee Cake Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and sugar together to combine. Create a well in the center for the wet ingredients.
- Crack egg and measure out remaining wet ingredients into the well. Stir slowly, incorporating more and more dry ingredients into the wet until just stirred. Scoop onto prepared baking sheets using a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop. Wet your fingers and create indents in each cookie, as if you were creating thumbprint cookies. Set aside.
- For the streusel: stir butter, flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon together until crumbly. Sprinkle over each cookie, to fill up the indentation. Bake 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly golden and the cookies appear dull and no longer shiny. Cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to cooling racks.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Store in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- *Roast sweet potatoes whole at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until very tender. Cool completely, peel and mash. Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 4 days.