This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Creamy, cheesy and oh so yummy, this Broccoli Cheese Soup will knock your socks off! A quick and comforting weeknight meal that tastes great! Grab some broccoli and cheese and get cooking!
Pretty sure there is nothing better than a big bowl of Broccoli Cheese Soup at the end of a chilly day. This version of mine takes a few shortcuts with frozen broccoli and condensed soup, but no one will know because of the onions, cream and cheddar cheese! All in all, this should take about 20 minutes start to finish. So so good with homemade drop biscuits or soft whole wheat dinner rolls.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup is a classic soup that everyone loves and typically I’m hard pressed to find anyone who doesn’t like it. It’s a real crowd pleaser and is simpler to make than you think! My mom always made this with cream of mushroom soup so that’s how I make it, too! I also use 3 cups of frozen broccoli florets that I microwave briefly before chopping and adding to my soup. I finish the soup with a little heavy cream (orrrr a lot…ha!) and lots of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
Frozen Broccoli vs Fresh Broccoli
Most recipes online call for using fresh broccoli which I’m not against. However, chopping fresh broccoli makes a huge mess, plus it takes longer to cook which is why I LOVE using frozen broccoli.
Using frozen broccoli means less overall active time plus a quicker cook time. On busy weeknights, that is what this mama needs. I like microwaving the frozen broccoli to defrost it slightly and get some extra water out of it. Then I chop it roughly and stir it into the soup. After that, it takes no time at all to get the broccoli nice and tender.
How to make Broccoli Cheese Soup
Start to finish, this recipe takes about 20 minutes! It’s a quick one that ends up tasting creamy and delicious. Be sure to scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for exact measurements and step-by-step instructional photos.
- Steam frozen broccoli until mostly defrosted. Drain. Roughly chop. Set aside.
- Brown onions in butter and olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed soup pot. This is my favorite pot to use for soups like this.
- Stir in flour to create a crumbly paste. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil to thicken. Reduce heat to low.
- Add in can of mushroom soup, Worcestershire, broccoli and seasonings. Cook 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in heavy cream and grated cheese. Taste, adjust seasonings and serve.
To Puree or not to Puree; that is the question
So, I prefer a chunkier broccoli cheese soup and so do my kids. But, if you’d like to puree this completely so its more of a “cream of broccoli soup”, then by all means, throw this into a blender and blitz until its the consistency you want.
Once the broccoli is completely softened, blend until smooth either before or after you add in the cream and cheddar cheese. (It doesn’t really matter if you do it before or after; you’ll still get the same delicious results.)
What to serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup
Here are a few of my favorite things to serve with warm soups in the Fall and Winter:
- Seriously *the best* Cornbread– I don’t give many things that title, but when I do, know that I mean them.
- Hasselback Garlic Cheesy Bread– a glorified garlic bread that is so dang good.
- Homemade Bread Bowls– because broccoli cheese soup would be even more delicious served in a bread bowl!
- Greek Salad– a refreshing and delicious homemade greek salad.
So, there you have it! My very tasty and very cheesy broccoli cheese soup! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does. And don’t forget to print/save/pin/bookmark/share this recipe because its a real tasty one!
Have a great day, friends!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 10.75 oz cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese + extras for toppings if desired
- Steam frozen broccoli in microwave to mostly defrost. Drain excess water, chop roughly and set aside. Saute onion in butter and oil until browned and tender.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir together to create a paste. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock into onions and bring to boil to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in cream of mushroom soup and add in frozen broccoli, worchestershire, onion powder and salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in heavy cream. (Optional: Using an immersion blender, blitz soup to puree to a desired consistency.)
- Melt in grated cheese. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve.