Asian Lettuce Wraps are an easy, healthy, low-carb and delicious meal that is ready to eat in about 15 minutes! Eat plain or top with peanuts, bean sprouts and cilantro!
Asian Lettuce Wraps. When I was in high school trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, never in a million years would I have guessed that at age 31 I’d be sitting at home (in my bed no less!) typing on my laptop to invisible internet friends about meat and lettuce. But here I sit typing away.
Blogging is weird, folks.
I develop recipes for strangers who find me online or for those avid readers who frequent my site. (hi!!!)
I love love love what I do, but duuuuuude. It’s a wacky profession.
These Asian Lettuce Wraps are an amazing, flavorful, low-carb dinner. I love ‘em because they are so darn easy, they are ready to eat in 15 minutes and you can eat a bunch and not feel super guilty. Plus the leftovers are legit.
I tested this recipe last Saturday night for dinner and got rave reviews…mostly from myself, my husband and Eddie. (Brooke and Blake were more interested in the ‘crunchy lettuce’ and the peanuts. Haha!) Actually, Gordon was sneaking bites right out of the pan before we sat down to eat because “it smells so good!” Those boys could not get enough.
All this recipe entails is lettuce and a really really good flavored meat filling. The main ingredients are basically just ground turkey and lettuce with a few other items like onion, garlic and ginger. All you have to do is brown the meat with onion in a pan, throw in the rest of the ingredients and simmer it down until everything is coated and cooked. Serve in lettuce and top with peanuts and bean sprouts. Simple simple simple and tastes so so good!
I do have a few different options for switching this recipe up below, though the original is pretty yummy as is 😉
Grab the recipe carb below and give this a try this week!
Have a great day, friends!
Helpful Recipe Links and Tips
(some affiliate links below)
I use 2 pounds of ground beef for this recipe because I wanted a lot! I fill my lettuce cups to the brim and I wanted extras. If you’d like to substitute 1 pound of meat for about 2 cups of finely diced veggies, go for it! Yellow squash, zucchini, shredded carrot, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts are delicious options!
If you’d like a less salty meat filling, use less soy sauce. If you like ginger, grate more in. If you want things on the sweeter side, add in extra maple syrup. Make this how you’d like it!
Slightly salted chopped peanuts are a great topper, but toasted cashews or almonds are a great alternative.
I use a large nonstick skillet to cook all this meat in because its really hard to burn stuff in a pan like that (and I use a relatively high heat for this recipe.) If you use a stainless steel pan, reduce the temperature. Cast iron would work well too! This is the pan I use.
Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 2 lbs. ground turkey 93%
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch of freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- butter lettuce separated into individual leaves
- lightly salted peanuts chopped
- bean sprouts
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add in onion and cook 2 minutes until slightly tender. Add in ground turkey and break apart into small pieces as it cooks. Stir in garlic and ginger. Cook 1 minute.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, stir soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, sesame oil and hoisin together and pour over cooked meat. Simmer sauce down until it becomes thick and coats the turkey well. Stir in chopped cilantro.
- Spoon into lettuce leaves. Garnish with peanuts and bean sprouts.