This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Cheesy Taco Pasta is a delicious step up from boxed dinners, using 7 basic ingredients, try this easy dinner out tonight!
Need a quick 15-minute dinner that everyone will love? What you need is Taco Pasta. This recipe was inspired by those boxes of Hamburger Helper I saw at the store the other day. I see why they appeal to so many families. It’s fast, easy and you don’t really have to think too much about it. Well, I took the ease of that meal, took out all the preservatives and made it healthier!
Taco Pasta Recipe
Easy, fast, and delicious with a capital D! Cheesy southwest goodness on your fork. Yes, please! Here’s everything you need to make this cheesy taco pasta recipe:
- Ground Beef – I used 80/20. If you’d like to make this recipe even healthier, opt for ground turkey instead of ground beef!
- Taco Seasoning – either use store-bought or use homemade taco seasoning.
- Southwest Salsa – use whatever brand you like best. Also if you like things spicy, get a spicier salsa! Don’t be afraid to change this pasta recipe to your liking.
- Water – this is used to fill out and simmer the rest of the sauce.
- Pasta – I used a corkscrew pasta but feel free to use what you have on hand (pasta, bowtie, macaroni). I wouldn’t recommend spaghetti or fettucini noodles though!
- Cheddar Cheese – freshly grate your cheese for best results! Feel free to use less or more cheese as well!
- Cream – this can be whole milk, heavy cream, or half & half.
- Salt and Pepper – don’t forget to season as you go and to taste!
How to Make Taco Pasta
Cheesy Taco Pasta is incredibly easy to make which only adds to its charm! Simply cook your pasta and while the pasta is cooking prepare the sauce! Once the pasta is finished throw together then top with cheese and cream. SO GOOD! For full details see the recipe card below.
- Bring water to a boil then cook the pasta until al dente (look at the packaging for cook times).
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet cook ground beef. Once cooked, drain the meat in a colander and run under hot water to get rid of extra fat. Replace the beef into the wiped out pan with taco seasoning, salsa, and water. Simmer until the pasta is done.
- Drain pasta and add to the ground beef mixture. Toss to coat, then top with cheese, cream, salt, and pepper. Stir to melt cheese, then serve immediately.
Taco Pasta Toppings
Here are a couple of great ideas to top your taco pasta with (totally optional):
- sour cream
- sliced avocado
- diced tomatoes
- tortilla strip chips
- sliced jalapenos
Any leftover Taco Pasta you have can be enjoyed for up to 5 days! Be sure to store in the fridge in an airtight container.
More Taco Recipes to Try!
Be sure to check out all my other taco recipes. Here are a couple of highlights:
You all are going to love this Taco Pasta Recipe! Printable recipe card is below! 🙂
Cheesy Taco Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef I used 80/20
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups southwest salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lb pasta I used rotini
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring water to boil to cook the pasta. Salt it and cook pasta until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, cook ground beef, breaking apart as you go. Once thoroughly cooked, drain meat and run under hot water to remove any fat. Wipe out pan with paper towel and place back on heat. Pour cooked beef into hot pan with taco seasoning, salsa and water. Simmer until pasta is finished cooking.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain well and pour into skillet. Top with cheese, cream, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts and noodles are coated in sauce. Serve immediately.