This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you want a dinner that is the ultimate comfort food, Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles is the clear winner. Filled with chicken, carrots, celery, and loads of homemade noodles, this recipe is easier to make than you think!
Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles is our latest obsession. It’s savory, mild in flavor but still delicious and simple to make. My Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is also on the delicious list, as is my Classic Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, minus the homemade noodles. Both are great options when you don’t have time to make your egg noodles from scratch. But, if you do happen to have the time, it is so so worth it and easier to make than you think.
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
Here is everything you’ll need to make the best tasting wholesome chicken noodle soup out there!
- Salted Butter – I like to use salted butter because that extra salt adds so much flavor, but if all you have is unsalted, that’s fine too. This is used for sauteing the veggies.
- Onions, Carrots, and Celery – for color, taste, and nutrition! Feel free to add other veggies to make this soup your own (zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – to make this recipe quicker use leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Chicken Stock – whether you use homemade or store-bought chicken stock you’re going to need it! Use what you like best.
- Bay Leaves and Parsley Flakes – the two seasonings I like to flavor this soup with.
- Soy Sauce and Pepper – soy sauce is my secret weapon when it comes to this recipe. Not only does it provide good seasoning but it also adds great color and umami flavor!
- Egg, Cold Water, Salt, and All-Purpose Flour – if you are making homemade noodles, these are the ingredients you’ll need!
How to Make Homemade Noodles
I assure you making homemade noodles is not as complicated as I might have made it seem, plus if you don’t want to make egg noodles from scratch, these frozen ‘Homestyle’ Egg Noodles from Reames are a great substitute. I haven’t been able to find them anywhere here in NYC, so I started making them at home instead.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg, water, and salt together. Slowly incorporate the flour, first using a spoon, and then switching to your hands. Knead until dough forms and becomes mostly smooth and moist. Set aside to rest.
- Cut dough into two halves. Roll each half into 1/4 inch thick circles on floured board. Cut lengthwise into skinny strips and then across to create 1 1/2 inch noodles using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Separate noodles then drop into the simmering chicken noodle soup when ready!
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup
This is a pretty basic summary of how to make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, for full details see the recipe card down below! And if you missed it, I have all the nitty-gritty details about the homemade noodles above!
- This soup starts out like a lot of chicken noodle soups with a base of butter, chopped onion, celery, and carrot.
- I add in some chicken stock, chicken and spices, and simmer away.
- While that is cooking, I create the pasta dough with egg, water, salt, and all-purpose flour. Knead it and then set it aside to rest so you have an easier time rolling and cutting the noodles.
- Pull the chicken out, shred, slide back into the pot, taste, and if salt is needed, splash in some soy sauce (my secret ingredient!)
- The last step is finishing the noodles and adding them to the pot. Once they float, they are cooked….like 20 seconds. Once the noodles are cooked, you can serve!
I would not recommend freezing this chicken noodle soup! The reason is because of the noodles, once frozen then thawed, they tend to lose their structure and become mushy. Gross.
BUT, if you would like to make the soup base then freeze, you are good to go! Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months (don’t fill the container all the way to the top. This is to leave room for expansion when freezing). To serve simple reheat the soup base and cook the freshly made noodles.
More Soup Recipes to Warm Up your day!
If you loved this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe you’ll love these other soup recipes as well:
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Easy Taco Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- Hamburger Soup
- Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup
The printable recipe card is below friends, enjoy!
Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups carrot chopped
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- soy sauce* & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add in onion, carrot and celery. Cook 5-7 minutes or until veggies start to tenderize.
- Add in chicken, chicken stock, bay leaves, soy sauce, pepper and dried parsley flakes. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 20 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.
- While soup is cooking, make the homemade noodles: in a medium bowl, whisk egg, water and salt together. Slowly incorporate flour, first using a spoon and then switching to your hands. Knead until dough forms and becomes mostly smooth and moist, about 2 minutes. Set aside to rest 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred. Place back in pot.
- Cut dough into two halves. Roll each half into 1/4 inch thick circles on floured board. Cut lengthwise into skinny strips and then across to create 1 1/2 inch noodles using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Separate noodles and drop into simmering soup. Noodles will be cooked when they float.
- Taste soup, adjust seasoning and serve hot.