This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Say hello to Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole – a great weeknight meal that comes together in a cinch! Although it’s speedy and therefore perfect for any day of your busy week, it’s still made from scratch, so you can feel good about feeding your family well. Definitely make this a part of your monthly rotation.
Want more casserole ideas? Check out my entire section of chicken casseroles!
You’ll Love This Comforting Chicken Noodle Casserole
The whole family (yes even your picky eater) will love this cheesy chicken noodle casserole and you’ll love how quickly this meal comes together! This easy weeknight meal includes shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, mixed vegetables and egg noodles that are tossed together with a creamy homemade sauce. No canned cream of chicken soup needed here!
Ingredients Needed For This Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
This list seems long, but I promise you already have most of these simple ingredients in your kitchen!
for the pasta
- medium or wide egg noodles– just regular dried noodles used here.
for the casserole sauce
- butter + all purpose flour + chicken stock– melted and combined with flour and chicken stock to make a roux.
- half & half– or whole milk
- sour cream– or plain greek yogurt
- onion powder + poultry seasoning– to season the sauce.
- salt & black pepper– also to season.
for the veggies, chicken + cheese
- frozen mixed vegetables– peas + carrots or peas, carrots + green beans- whatever you have and like.
- shredded chicken– use skinless boneless chicken breasts, or I like to use skinless boneless chicken thighs because the meat is naturally moist and easy to shred. A rotisserie chicken works well too.
- shredded cheddar cheese
for the bread crumb topping
- panko bread crumbs
- melted butter
- fresh parsley
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
For full recipe details, including ingredients needed and measurements, see the printable recipe card down below. Here is step by step what you can expect when making this Chicken Noodle Casserole:
Preheat Oven + Prep Casserole Dish
Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray a casserole dish (9×13-inch baking dish) with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Cook Noodles Al Dente
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook egg noodles according to package directions for al dente and drain. Set aside.
Make the Sauce
In a medium pot, over medium heat whisk butter, flour, and seasonings to form a roux. Cook a couple minutes, whisking frequently. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, whisking until no lumps remain.
Lower heat and add half & half and sour cream. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Add the Noodles, Chicken, Veggies + Cheese
Combine sauce with cooked noodles, frozen veggies, chicken and cheese and leave on heat just until heated through.
Make the Topping
Transfer casserole mixture to the prepared baking dish if needed.
In a small bowl combine panko bread crumbs, melted butter, parsley and cheese. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over top of casserole, evenly distributing.
Bake + Serve
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until top is golden brown and casserole is bubbly! Serve warm and enjoy!
Side Dish Ideas to Serve with Chicken Noodle Casserole
This creamy casserole checks a lot of the boxes for a balanced meal, but if you’re wanting to add a little more to the dinner table, consider these ideas:
- Garlic Bread or Dinner Rolls – can’t go wrong with bread! Also great to use bread to get all the extra casserole sauce off your plate.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts or Oven Roasted Asparagus – more veggies are always a good idea!
- Caprese Salad – the freshness of this salad can’t be beat!
Storage + Make Ahead Directions
Allow any leftovers to cool completely to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
To Make Ahead – assemble casserole as recipe instructions indicate up until baking. Place plastic wrap over the top of the casserole and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Then bake as the directions read.
To Reheat – microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through.
To Freeze – wrap in plastic wrap really well and then with aluminum foil or in a freezer safe container with good fitting lid to prevent freezer burn. This casserole will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge.
FAQ’s About Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
I like to use boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs. I also like to use leftover rotisserie chicken when we have had that earlier in the week. It’s a great way to repurpose the leftover chicken.
Yes! Crush 1 sleeve of ritz crackers and combine with the melted butter as directed in the recipe card.
Japanese Panko Breadcrumbs are FAR superior to regular breadcrumbs and that is because they are made from crustless bread that is processed into flakes and then dried, thus making for a larger, flakier breadcrumb that is crispier and lighter. The crumbs don’t pack together when coating the food or as a topping, resulting in a breading or buttery casserole topping that stays super crispy.
More Chicken Recipes to Try!
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan
- Crockpot Italian Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Crispy Chicken Wraps
- Tuscan Chicken
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pesto Chicken and Rice Casserole
I highly recommend adding this creamy chicken noodle casserole to your dinner rotation…you’ll love the ease of this quick delicious meal! Have a great day, friends!
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you would give it a star rating and leave your review in the comments! If you have a picture of your finished dish, post it on Instagram using the hashtag #laurenslatest and tagging me @laurens_latest.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 16 oz medium egg noodles
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt & pepper + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper + more to taste
- 8 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 12 oz cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
bread crumb topping
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook egg noodles according to package directions for al dente and drain. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, over medium heat whisk butter, flour, and seasonings to form a roux. Cook a couple minutes, whisking frequently.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, whisking until no lumps remain.
- Lower heat and add half & half and sour cream. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Combine sauce with cooked noodles, frozen veggies, chicken and cheese and leave on heat just until heated through.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Transfer all ingredients to an oven safe dish if needed.
- In a small bowl combine panko bread crumbs, melted butter, parsley and cheese.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over top of casserole, evenly distributing.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until top is browned and casserole is bubbly! Serve warm and enjoy!