This Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup is the perfect warm and comforting meal for the upcoming cold winter months. Filled with lots of veggies and wholesome wild rice, your family will fall in love with this recipe.
It’s soup time… Chicken Wild Rice Soup time!
It’s been raining here a lot and there seems to be NO END in sight. It will occasionally stop from time to time but then it just picks right back up again. I don’t know why I feel the need to make soup when the weather gets bad, but there you have it. Maybe it’s something my Mom did OR maybe its engrained in my DNA. That would be cool. Either way, I made a huge pot of delicious chicken wild rice soup and you lucky people get the recipe!
It takes around 45 minutes to get all the ingredients prepped and cooked if you’re doing everything from scratch, but if you use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken it’ll shave off a huge chunk of time. I’d say the hardest part of this recipe is the chopping, which isn’t hard at all…just takes a little time. To keep this on the healthier side, I use fat free half and half. It’s creamy with a fraction of the calories. If you don’t use or can’t find fat free half and half, I’d recommend using half the amount of real half and half or whole milk. Your soup will be a little less thick if you use the milk, but that’s why you whisk in the flour to help combat that.
A word about the wild rice: I call for Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice Original Flavor (6 oz. box that is skinny and orange) because that’s what I’ve always used because it comes with a seasoning packet that makes a world of difference because it tastes so darn good. I grew up eating the stuff so I miiiiiight be slightly biased. I don’t want to force you to buy this, but in my opinion you need it to get the same result that I did. It was only $3 here in NYC which means it’s probably only $2 where you live.
Here are a few photos of the process with the printable recipe at the bottom.
Have a great day, friends!
Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is the perfect warm and comforting meal for the upcoming cold winter months. Filled with lots of veggies and wholesome wild rice, your family will fall in love with this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole onion diced
- 4 ribs celery chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled and cubed, about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 cups good quality chicken broth
- 3/4 lbs. chicken breasts* cubed
- 1 6 oz. box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- plenty of salt and pepper
- In large pot, heat butter and olive oil. Sautee onions, celery and carrots on medium low heat for 10 minutes to soften. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken broth and cubed raw chicken. Raise temperature to medium high heat to poach chicken in cooking liquid. Once chicken has cooked and become opaque, pour in rice and seasoning packet that came with the rice. Cover and reduce heat to simmer lightly for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In small bowl, whisk cold half and half with flour until smooth. Pour into soup pot and reduce heat completely to low. Cook 10 minutes or until rice is softened completely and soup has thickened.
- Taste and season accordingly. Serve hot.
*if using rotisserie chicken, you'll add that in during step 3 with the half and half and flour.