Its been raining here a lot and there seems to be NO END in sight. It will occasionally stop from time to time but then it just picks right back up again. I don’t know why I feel the need to make soup when the weather gets bad, but there you have it. Maybe its something my Mom did OR maybe its engrained in my DNA or something! That would be cool. Either way, I made a huge pot of delicious soup and you lucky people get the recipe!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Yield 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups good quality chicken broth
- 3/4 lbs. chicken breasts, cubed
- 1-6 oz. box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (I used fat free)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- plenty of salt and pepper
- In large pot, heat butter and olive oil. Sautee onions, celery and carrots on medium low heat for 10 minutes to soften. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken broth and cubed raw chicken. Raise temperature to medium high heat to poach chicken in cooking liquid. Once chicken has cooked and become opaque, pour in rice and seasoning packet that came with the rice. Cover and reduce heat to simmer lightly for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, whisk cold half and half with flour until smooth. Pour into soup pot and reduce heat completely to low. Cook 10 minutes or until rice is softened completely and soup has thickened slightly.
- Taste and season accordingly. Serve hot.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @laurens_latest on Instagram and hashtag it #laurenslatest.