Creamy Crockpot Cauliflower Soup is a low carb, easy and tasty dinner for those chilly nights ahead! Grab your crockpot, some bacon (yum!) and this comforting recipe.
When we lived in Idaho, one of our favorite restaurants was Zupas. (Any Zupas fans out there?)
My daughter was a little obsessed with their cauliflower soup because it “didn’t have any chunks”. The recipe for cauliflower soup I had been using up to that point is one I inherited from my Mom and it is supposed to be chunky. That’s how it was always made at my house growing up and to be quite honest, I like the chunks. But my Brookie Cookie does not and is very vocal about it.
So one day earlier this week, I tried to appease her and create a non-chunky, extra velvety cauliflower soup (in the crockpot no less!) for this daughter of mine.
You guys, I think I might like this creamy version better. The half & half, bacon and cheese might have something to do with it though. Don’t be alarmed, though! Yes, those are high calorie ingredients, but considering how much soup this makes, when you break it down per serving, its really not terrible. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.
Of course you could make this on the stovetop with no crockpot, but if you are busy and have the time in the morning or mid-afternoon to get this cooking ahead of time, I’d recommend doing that. My kids are always extra whiney around 5pm, so any time I don’t have to spend cooking is appreciated.
Bookmark or print this recipe!! You never know when it might save you on a chilly fall school night 🙂
Have a wonderful day, friends!!
Creamy Crockpot Cauliflower Soup
Yield 6 servings
A creamy, low carb, easy and tasty dinner for those chilly nights ahead! Grab your crockpot, some bacon (yum!) and this comforting recipe.
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, divided
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into large chunks, leaves removed
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (thyme leaves, not ground thyme)
- 1 cup half & half
- optional toppings: grated cheddar cheese, cook and crumbled bacon and/or parsley
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion until brown. Add in garlic and cook another minute until fragrant. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and stir to moisten the flour and cook briefly. Pour onion mixture into the bottom of a crockpot.
- Whisk in chicken stock to crockpot and then stir in cauliflower pieces, bay leaves, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or until fragrant and cauliflower is very tender.
- Remove bay leaves from crockpot. Blend soup in a high powered blender until very smooth. Soup should thicken up once blended, but still be on the thinner side.
- Measure half and half into a microwave-safe large bowl or larger glass liquid measuring cup. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in 3 cups of hot soup to the half and half. Microwave for 3 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds. This mixture should become very thick. Pour into crockpot and whisk to combine to create a creamy, thick soup. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with cheese, bacon and parsley.