Creamy Crockpot Cauliflower Soup is a low carb, easy and tasty dinner for those chilly nights ahead! Grab your crockpot, some bacon (yum!) and this comforting recipe.
My daughter is a little obsessed with Zupa’s Cauliflower Soup because it “doesn’t have any chunks”. The recipe for cauliflower soup I had been using up to that point is one I inherited from my Mom and it is supposed to be chunky. That’s how it was always made at my house growing up and to be quite honest, I like the chunks. But my Brookie Cookie does not and is very vocal about it.
So one day earlier this week, I tried to appease her and create a non-chunky, extra velvety cauliflower soup (in the crockpot no less!) for this daughter of mine.
You guys, I think I might like this creamy version better. The half & half, bacon and cheese might have something to do with it though. Don’t be alarmed, though! Yes, those are high-calorie ingredients, but considering how much soup this makes when you break it down per serving, it’s really not terrible. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.
Of course, you could make this on the stovetop with no crockpot, but if you are busy and have the time in the morning or mid-afternoon to get this cooking ahead of time, I’d recommend doing that. My kids are always extra whiney around 5 pm, so any time I don’t have to spend cooking is appreciated.
Bookmark or print this recipe!! You never know when it might save you on a chilly fall school night 🙂
Have a wonderful day, friends!!
Creamy Crockpot Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower Soup is a low carb, easy and tasty dinner for those chilly nights ahead! Grab your crockpot, some bacon and this recipe.
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour divided
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into large chunks, leaves removed
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme thyme leaves, not ground thyme
- 1 cup half & half
- optional toppings: grated cheddar cheese cook and crumbled bacon and/or parsley
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion until brown. Add in garlic and cook another minute until fragrant. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and stir to moisten the flour and cook briefly. Pour onion mixture into the bottom of a crockpot.
- Whisk in chicken stock to crockpot and then stir in cauliflower pieces, bay leaves, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or until fragrant and cauliflower is very tender.
- Remove bay leaves from crockpot. Blend soup in a high powered blender until very smooth. Soup should thicken up once blended, but still be on the thinner side.
- Measure half and half into a microwave-safe large bowl or larger glass liquid measuring cup. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in 3 cups of hot soup to the half and half. Microwave for 3 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds. This mixture should become very thick. Pour into crockpot and whisk to combine to create a creamy, thick soup. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with cheese, bacon and parsley.