This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The easiest, healthiest and tastiest recipe for Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, guaranteed. Set it, forget it and enjoy!
So happy to be sharing my favorite Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup with you today! This recipe is so tasty and will feed a crowd! Very hearty, very healthy and is particularly divine with lots of cheese, sour cream, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips and anything else you want to throw up on top. Adapted from my original Chicken Tortilla Soup, this one is just as tasty. Delicious served with my unbeatable cornbread.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love making Chicken Tortilla Soup because it’s filled with lots of veggies, beans and chicken and my family devours it. It’s a super healthy dinner and absolutely will feed a crowd. Making this recipe in the crockpot makes it that much easier! When I say set and forget it, I mean it. You simply sautee a few veggies and add them to the cold crockpot along with a bunch of canned goodies like black beans, green chiles, corn and Rotel. Top it off with some spices, chicken broth and the whole chicken breasts. Yes, you read that right: no need to cut any raw meat at all! Cook on high for 4 hours or until that chicken is fully cooked.
When you’re ready to eat, remove the chicken, shred it and add it back into the pot along with a few sliced corn tortillas. Cook a few more minutes and serve with your favorite toppings.
Main Ingredients Needed
Nothing too out of the ordinary on this list!! Unless you call a bunch of veggies out of the ordinary? Full measurements are found at the bottom of this post in the printable recipe card.
- Onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini– All of these veggies cook down and blend into the finished soup. It all tastes the same and is a fun way to get your kids to eat more vegetables than maybe they think. Mwahaha.
- Beans, Rotel, Corn, Green Chiles– These are the canned goods you’ll need for this chicken tortilla soup…crockpot edition. The beans are the only item you’ll have to rinse.
- Chicken Broth– the base of our soup!
- Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Oregano, S&P– all the delicious seasonings you’ll need! Don’t skip that smoked paprika…it makes a delicious addition.
- Chicken Breasts– boneless, skinless breasts are cooked whole in this soup and shredded before serving. It’s the easiest way to cook chicken for a recipe like this.
- Corn Tortillas– You can’t have chicken tortilla soup without the tortillas! These add a delicious corny flavor that can’t be beat!
Do I have to use Corn Tortillas?
Since this is a Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, yes, I’d recommend using corn tortillas as the recipe states because it’s the traditional ingredient. It not only adds that delicious corn flavor, but it helps to thicken the soup. (The tortillas eventually break down and dissolve in the soup, thus thickening it.) If you don’t like corn tortillas for whatever reason, DO NOT substitute flour tortillas. Simply add in 2 tablespoons of cornmeal into the soup with the rest of the ingredients.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love love love using a slow cooker for soup recipes! Actually, all Fall and Winter, I use my crockpot allllllll the time because it’s just so darn easy and you can’t beat that slow cooked flavor. After about 4 hours, your soup should be fully cooked (but you’ll want to check that chicken just to make sure.)
Sautee onion, zucchini, carrot and garlic in olive oil for 5-7 minutes or until veggies start to become tender.
Add all canned ingredients to cold crockpot.
Pour in cooked veggies.
Add in chicken stock, spices and whole raw chicken breasts. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Remove chicken, shred and return to pot with strips of corn tortillas. Cover and cook another 10-20 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and serve with any desired toppings.
The beauty of this soup is it will last for 5 days in the refrigerator as long as its in an airtight container. It also freezes very well and will last up to 3 months as long as its in an airtight container.
I love this Chicken Tortilla Soup as is, but it gets even better with all the delicious toppings available to give it more texture and flavor. Here are my favorites:
- Classic Guacamole
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Pico de Gallo
- Tortilla Strips
- Shredded Cheese/ Cotija
- Lime wedges
Anyways, be sure to print/save/bookmark/share/pin this recipe because it’s not one you’re going to want to lose! So fabulous. Have a great day, friends!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion diced
- 1 large clove garlic grated
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 15.5 oz. sweet corn (1 can) drained
- 15 oz. black beans (1 can) drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. cannellini beans (1 can) drained and rinsed
- 10 oz. Rotel (1 can)
- 4.5 oz mild green chiles (1 small can)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless; about 1 pound
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 5 corn tortillas cut into strips
- toppings if desired: fresh cilantro, chips, sour cream, avocado, etc.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Sautee onion, zucchini, carrot and garlic for 5-7 minutes or until veggies start to become tender.
- Add all canned ingredients to cold crockpot.
- Pour in cooked veggies.
- Add in chicken stock, spices and whole raw chicken breasts. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken, shred and return to pot with strips of corn tortillas. Cover and cook another 10-20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with any desired toppings.