This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Made with Italian Sausage, kale, and potatoes, this Creamy Sausage Kale Soup is exactly what you need to warm up on a cold day! And yes, it is a Zuppa Toscana copycat recipe! The sweet Italian sausage flavors the creamy broth and the potatoes and kale add substance to make this hearty and healthful. It’s a relatively quick recipe to make and doesn’t take a bunch of prep work, either. Delicious served with Four Cheese Texas Toast or my Mom’s Potato Rolls.
Sausage Kale Soup
Have I got a winner of a dinner for you today! A hearty, easy to make, stick to your ribs soup that everyone will love! Sausage Kale Soup looks pretty plain jane, but let me tell you, the flavor in this will knock your taste buds off. One pot of this doesn’t last long and it’s just what we needed to warm up and fill some empty tummies! A copycat recipe to Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana, you can make this at home, too!
Basic Ingredients Needed
All the ingredients needed for Sausage Kale Soup are very common which means you can whip this recipe up anytime! Here’s what you need:
- Italian Sausage – this comes either sweet or spicy, the choice is yours!
- Butter, Onion, and Garlic – the holy trinity of flavor at my house! Really though, these three are an incredible base to any dinner.
- Potatoes – thinly sliced russet potatoes add substance to this soup and really make it hearty!
- Chicken Broth – chicken broth make this soup brothy without sacrificing flavor.
- Kale – you can find kale in the produce section at the grocery store! Remove the tough stems before using.
- Bay Leaf, Sea Salt, Black Pepper – all of the seasonings that make this soup absolutely delicious! Season as you go 🙂
- Heavy Cream – just a bit to make it all creamy. If you want your soup even creamier, reduce the amount of water, and increase the amount of heavy cream.
Make this soup your own! Variations:
I encourage you to experiment and make this Sausage Kale Soup your own, based on your likes, dislikes and what you have on hand. Here are a couple of suggestions to get you started, let me know how it goes in the comments below.
- Spinach: replace kale with spinach! The spinach will wilt a lot more than the kale will, but still equally delicious with a big nutritious kick.
- Beans: Instead of using potatoes, try using canned white beans, or really any can of beans will work!
- Veggies: feel free to load this sucker up full of vegetables. Carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli, it’s all fair game.
- Smoked Sausage: don’t like Italian Sausage? No problem! Try a tasty smoked sausage. Since most of the flavor comes from the meat, be sure you’re using one with lots of flavor.
How to Make Sausage Kale Soup
The directions for this recipe are really simple! Without getting into too much detail, you basically brown your sausage, saute onions and garlic, throw everything else in and simmer. Top off the whole thing with some cream right before serving, and that’s it! For full details see the recipe card down below.
In a large pot, cook sausage until browned and cooked thoroughly. Remove from pot and drain on paper towels.
In the same pot, melt butter and saute onions and garlic until softened. Stir in sausage, broth, kale, and seasonings. Simmer until flavors have melded together.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf and add the heavy cream.
My Soup Isn’t Thick! What do I do?
If you made this recipe and you noticed that its not as thick or creamy as you’d like, the solution is a relatively quick fix. After the soup is made in its entirety, simply whisk 2 tablespoons of flour into 1/2 cup water to create a slurry and then gently stir that into the pot of soup. After a minute or two, it should thicken up slightly.
If you have read this section before you’ve begun making the Sausage Kale Soup, simply increase the flour to 6 tablespoons instead of 1/4 cup (which is 4 tablespoons). Stir the flour into the cooked onions and sausage before adding in the broth. That should do the trick!
Love Kale? Here are More Kale Recipes:
- Kale Salad Recipe
- Garlic Chicken & Kale Spaghetti (family favorite!)
- Kale, Pomegranate, and Bacon Salad with Warm Maple-Bacon Dressing
- Teriyaki Glazed Garlic Kale Meatballs with Mango Avocado Salsa
While the cold months of the year are starting to settle in, make a nice big comforting pot of Creamy Sausage Kale soup. It’s sure to please even the pickiest eaters!
The printable recipe card is down below, have a good day 🙂
Creamy Sausage Kale Soup
- 1 lb Italian Sausage sweet or spicy, you choose
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 cups kale stalks removed & torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium russet potatoes washed and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In large pot over medium heat, cook sausage until browned and cooked thoroughly. Remove from pot and drain on paper towels.
- In same pot, melt butter and saute onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute. Stir in cooked sausage and flour. Cook 2 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Add in chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Stir in kale and potatoes. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf and add in heavy cream.