This Kale Salad is healthy and super easy to toss together! Use ingredients you already have and you’ll make a delicious salad in no time!
This Kale Salad is amazing, but you know what isn’t? Bedtime.
A few nights ago, Brooke couldn’t sleep. Allegedly.
She always comes up with excuses at bedtime. It’s usually a different excuse every day and sometimes a combination of them all:
- she has a headache
- she has a cough
- she has a “really bad” sore throat
- she’s not tired
- she doesn’t want to go to bed
- she didn’t get to watch enough TV that day
- her bed isn’t comfortable
- her blanket is annoying
- her blankets aren’t warm enough
- her blankets are too hot
- her pillows aren’t comfortable
- her pillows are too hot
- her pillows are itchy
- her stomach is itchy (or any other body part)
- she can’t hold still
- she forgot to do her homework
- she doesn’t want to go to school tomorrow
- she’s too excited to sleep
- she’s thirsty
- she’s hungry
- we forgot to give her vitamins in the morning
…and the list goes on.
Honestly, that girl will talk about ANYTHING to get us into a conversation to avoid heading to bed. I’ve gotten so used to it that I usually reply with a “that’s too bad….go to bed.”
Of course, she doesn’t like that response, but giiiirl, I love you so much that I put you to bed at 8!
(She hates that explanation too.)
She just turned eight and already I’m ruining her life.
Better get used to that 😉
Do your kids pull out all the stops for avoiding bedtime? The list of ailments and problems in Brooke’s life between the hours of 7 and 9 pm are SEVERE.
Heaven help me.
Anyways, I thought I should put something green in my mouth for a change (instead of cookies) and decided that thing should be kale. I actually googled “super foods” to see what I had on hand that I could throw into this salad. Turns out a lot of foods qualify. Who knew?
I just grabbed those veggies from the fridge, some walnuts and a can of garbanzo beans from the pantry and threw it all together for a big dinner salad.
Based on whatever dressings you like, feel free to toss this together with whatever you want! I made my White Balsamic Maple Dressing because I love a sweet vinaigrette and white balsamic is probably my favorite vinegar out there, but regular balsamic vinegar is pretty stellar too.
Get the recipe for this salad below 🙂 And any tips for getting kids to bed without the copious excuses…help a sister out.
Have a great Wednesday!
This Kale Salad is healthy and super easy to toss together! Use ingredients you already have and you'll make a delicious salad in no time!
- 1 bunch kale washed and chopped well
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cups red cabbage chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 6 large mushrooms wiped clean and chopped
- 1 cup curly parsley chopped
- 1 1/4 cup walnuts chopped and toasted
- 1 recipe White Balsamic Maple Dressing
Place all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
Make salad dressing recipe as stated on the previous recipe.
Toss salad together with dressing and serve immediately.
Nutritional information is for the ingredients listed excluding the White Balsamic Maple Dressing. Caloric information can be found on its own post.