This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Did someone say Homemade Garlic Bread? This is the tastiest recipe for extra cheesy and extra garlicky garlic bread! Jazz up store bought french bread with a simple homemade garlic butter.
Do you make pasta? Do you make Garlic Bread to go with said pasta? Oh mama, have I got the ultimate homemade Garlic Bread recipe that you will love! Softened butter is stirred together with fresh minced garlic, a few herbs and two kinds of cheese with a little extra hit of garlic from garlic powder! Bring your own Lasagna or Spaghetti and Meatballs!
Garlic Bread is for Lovers
I love garlic probably more than the average Joe. So does my husband. So do our kids. So, its no surprise that this Garlic Bread goes over well when I bring it to the table in all its buttery, cheesy glory. The garlic breath is real over here, but thankfully we all cancel each other out and so its not *that* noticeable. Ha!
Garlic Butter Ingredients
A great garlic bread starts with garlic butter….the schmear that you generously spread on your bread before broiling. Mine is pretty simple with a very small list of needed ingredients. As long as you’re using good quality ingredients, this will turn out delicious! (Actually, even if you don’t, its really hard to go wrong with this.)
- butter– not to be confused with margarine. For heaven’s sake, only use real butter for this recipe.
- fresh garlic– mince this up finely.
- garlic powder– I’m talking about the pure garlic that is dried and turned into a powder…not garlic salt. They are not the same thing.
- parsley– fresh or freeze dried is fine. I love these freeze dried herbs!
- parmesan + cheddar cheese– I love the combo of these two together and it adds an extra cheesy bite that tastes fabulous.
How to make Homemade Garlic Bread
This might be the easiest recipe on the planet. You just have to be careful not to burn the bread under the broiler. Other then that, it’s cake….except Garlic Bread. Ha!
- Stir butter, garlic, garlic powder, parsley, cheeses and salt & pepper together in a small bowl.
- Cut french bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread garlic butter generously onto the bread, being sure to spread evenly as you go.
- Place bread onto foil lined baking sheet and broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until bread is crispy, brown and bubbly.
- Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Do I have to use cheese?
I love Garlic Bread with cheese which is why I added a healthy half cup of it into this recipe. However, you absolutely can omit it if cheese isn’t your thing. (Also, why is cheese not your thing? My Dad hates cheese and I give him the side eye a lot.)
Do I have to use french bread?
No! You can use just about any loaf of bread as long as it’s crispy. Two great substitutes would be ciabatta or baguette.
My bread isn’t crispy and I want it crispy. What do I do?
I’ve noticed that some store bought loaves of french bread and “artisan” kinds of bread are being wrapped completely in plastic and then set neatly into their paper bags, making the previously crispy edges softer. If you fall into this camp, I’ve got you covered! Broiling the bread alone won’t give you crispy edges. Here’s how you remedy this problem:
Slice the bread in half lengthwise, keeping the loaf together. Brush the crust with a little melted butter or olive oil. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until the edges are as crispy as you’d like. Then open up the already cut loaf, spread your garlic butter generously and broil as the recipe states. Voila! Perfect garlic bread with those delicious crispy edges.
What to serve with Garlic Bread
Garlic Bread is a humble side dish to go with Italian Food; mainly pasta. Here are some of my favorites to serve together with my homemade Garlic Bread.
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- Crockpot Italian Chicken Pasta
- Skinny Baked Spaghetti
- Classic Stuffed Shells
- Quick and Easy Shrimp Scampi
Homemade Garlic Bread
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon parsley freeze-dried or fresh
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 loaf french bread
- In a small bowl, stir butter, garlic, garlic powder, salt, pepper and parsley together until well combined.
- Stir in cheeses.
- Cut french bread evenly in half lengthwise and remove any excess crumbs.
- Divide butter mixture in half and spread in an even layer across the two cut sides of the loaves.
- Place garlic bread on foil lined baking sheet and broil on high until brown and bubbly and melted. You may have to move the pan around to get it to broil evenly. Cut into 24 skinny pieces, 12 per side. 1 serving is 2 pieces.