This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I know that tomorrow is Thanksgiving, but I just had to post this recipe! Man oh man is this one a doozie! I have previously mentioned my love for crispy cheese before. If you missed that, then read this post. Well, this recipe is crispy cheese to the MAX because I decided to encase some delicious pulled pork and sesame slaw with a beautiful crispy cheese taco. That’s right. I made a taco shell out of cheese. And, let me tell you, it is seriously the bomb dot com. Oh my goodness gracious are these good. I may even say addictive. The taste of crispy salty cheese with the sweet and warm pulled pork along with the cold sesame slaw is like magic in your mouth and will send you to the moon and back. Well, maybe not literally, but I was certainly close to heaven after one bite.
I loved these so much that I entered them into a Better Home & Garden taco recipe contest. I’ll keep you posted on what happens with that. But, in the mean time, I’d recommend making these ASAP. They do take a little time and a little extra effort, but oh mama, they are so worth it.
Start out by getting some pork shoulder into a crock pot. Add a few things and set it on high for 3-4 hours. Then shred it and add in a few more things and keep it warm. Mix the slaw together and toss it with the dressing. And last, make your crispy cheese taco shells! Yum yum yum. Yum yum. Yum. I’m drooling just thinking about these. Come Friday or Saturday, I bet you’re all going to be sick of turkey, so these would make a great alternative for dinner. I’m always thinking ahead and looking out for my peeps. (Pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever used the word ‘peeps’.
Anyways, these are highly rated in my family! Even my 9 year old niece said “wow….these are good” after one bite! Everyone will love them! Promise! 🙂
Pulled Pork Tacos with Sesame Slaw
for the pulled pork:
for the sesame slaw:
for the crispy cheese taco shells:
- 6 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Place pork shoulder into cold crock pot and cover with beef broth, BBQ sauce, salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until pork is very tender.
- Remove pork from crock pot and drain off fat and most of the cooking liquid, leaving about 1 cup in the bottom. Shred pork being sure to remove any visible fat. Place shredded pork back into warm crock pot and stir in remaining 1 cup BBQ sauce, mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm in crock pot until ready to serve.
- For the sesame slaw, combine cabbage mix, cilantro and onions. Set aside. In small bowl, mix sesame oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper together. Pour over slaw and toss to combine. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat a small (preferably non stick) skillet to medium heat. Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese into hot skillet, making a 4-5 inch circle (approximately). Cook 2-3 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and the bottom is golden brown. Remove carefully in one piece and place on some paper towels. Dab the top to remove any excess grease and quickly place over a small cup or handle to shape cheese into a taco shell shape. Let crispy cheese cool and remove. Repeat this process until all shells have been formed.
- To serve, spoon some warm pulled pork into the bottom of a crispy cheese shell and top with sesame slaw.