This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Soft and chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars recipe! Filled with mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and walnuts. Basically Chocolate Chip Cookies but way easier!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars | National Cookie Day
In honor of National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day on August 4, I thought I’d post an easy and crowd-pleasing recipe that everyone should have. We all have a chocolate chip cookie recipe we love, but do you know what is even better than chocolate chip cookies? Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars full of chocolate, sugar, and walnuts. They’re easier to make than normal cookies and are even easier to eat.
Looking for even more chocolate chip cookie recipes? Check these out!
- Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookie
Main Ingredients Needed
For this chocolate chip cookie bar recipe, you’re going to want to gather up all of the regular ingredients you’d use for normal cookies. Plus a couple of special mix-ins. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter – delicious fat to start these cookies off right.
- Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar – creamed with the butter, these are both used for sweetening and flavor.
- Egg and Egg Yolks – these are both used for the structure and texture of the cookie bars.
- Vanilla – for flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour – to fill out the bars.
- Baking Soda – the leavening agent.
- Salt – to balance out all the sweetness.
- Walnuts – chopped. You could also sub these out for a nut that you like or just leave them out all together.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – I used semi-sweet mini chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Chunks – buy storebought or a chocolate bar chopped up.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
For full details on how to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, see the recipe card down below!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat oven. Line glass 9×13 dish with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Dough
Place butter into a large bowl and melt together in the microwave. Stir in brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined. Add in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix until lighter in color. Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Scrape the sides of the bowl and the bottom really well to ensure a smooth, well-stirred batter.
Hand-stir the mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and walnuts into the batter and press into the prepared pan.
Step 3: Bake, Cool + Serve
Bake until the center is mostly cooked. Then cool before cutting into bars and serving.
You can definitely cut these when they’re warm (because warm cookies always win over room temperature cookies), but you run the risk of not getting perfect edges. If you’re not photographing them for your blog (ahem), then by all means, dig in immediately. Perhaps with some ice cream too.
How to Cut Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
To get perfect cuts from these chocolate chip cookies bars, simply overline your baking dish with either parchment paper or tin foil (that way you have “handles” to lift the bars out cleanly). Once the bars are out of the pan, cut with a large knife, wiping it off as necessary.
More Cookie Bars to Try!
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Double Chocolate Cookie Bars
- Caramel Snickerdoodle Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
- S’mores Bars
Or if you’re looking for safe-to-eat dough, here you go Edible Cookie Dough!
The printable recipe card is below, print it, pin it or bookmark this page so you can make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars anytime you want! Happy baking 🙂
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line glass 9×13 dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place butter into a large bowl and melt together in the microwave. Stir in brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix until lighter in color.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Scrape the sides of the bowl and the bottom really well to ensure a smooth, well-stirred batter.
- Hand-stir the mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and walnuts into the batter and press into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until the center is mostly cooked.
- Cool 15 minutes before cutting into bars and serving.