This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are easier to make than you think. The best of chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream! Perfect for birthdays, a hot summer’s day, or just because!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
When I first developed this chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich recipe (way back in 2013), it was a quick, go-to summer snack made with store-bought ingredients only. Since then, I’ve come up with some great cookie and ice cream recipes that you can absolutely use to create fun and tasty ice cream sandwiches including my Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe and Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream! The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it completely homemade, semi-homemade, or all from store-bought ingredients and still get amazing results! So let’s get started!
Main Ingredients Needed
You only need three main components to make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – I used my chocolate chip cookie recipe. But feel free to use whatever cookie recipe you’d like or go out and buy some cookies.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – I used Breyer’s vanilla bean ice cream, but you don’t have to make this recipe with just vanilla ice cream. Use what you have! Or make it homemade with my Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe.
- Sprinkles or Mini Chocolate Chips – these are optional but create a fun activity for kids and can be made festive for holidays!
Tips + Tricks
Freeze after baking for 20-30 minutes. This ensures that the cookies don’t break or tear apart when squishing down on the ice cream.
No worries, just let it sit out to soften a bit, then refreeze!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
For full details on how to make Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches, see the recipe card down below 🙂
1. Make/Buy the Cookies + Ice Cream
Start out by making or buying cookies and/or ice cream!
Like I said above, this recipe is really only going to take up as much time as you want it to take up. Go all out and make it all homemade or take it easy and make it semi-homemade or all store-bought. Either way, you’re going to have a great end product.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop ice cream balls onto one chocolate chip cookie, topping with a second one. Press down slightly. Repeat with as many as you’d like.
Freeze 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and roll edges in sprinkles or mini chocolate chips (optional). Freeze until you’re ready to serve.
How to Store Ice Cream Sandwiches
After the cookie ice cream sandwiches have been assembled and frozen you can either individually wrap each one in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. These will last in the freezer for about a month, which makes them a perfect make-ahead treat!
More Ice Cream Recipes to Try!
- Halloween Ice Cream Sandwich Spiders
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake
- No-Churn Rocky Road Ice Cream
- Homemade Snickers Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Try these out on your kids and see how fast their eyes pop out of their heads. It’s a fun little game to try 🙂
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- colorful sprinkles or mini chocolate chips optional
- Stir melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined. Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix until lighter in color. Add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Scrape the sides of the bowl and the bottom really well to ensure a smooth, well stirred batter. Hand stir the chocolate chips into the batter and let it sit 20 minutes to let the flour soak into the rest of the batter.
- Preheat oven to 325. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop cookie dough onto prepared pans, using a two tablespoon cookie scoop. Bake 8-9 minutes, rotating sheets half way through baking. When you pull your cookies out of the oven, they will looked cooked around the edges and undercooked in the center. Leave the cookies on the hot baking pans for 5-7 minutes or until you can remove them without falling apart. Place onto cooling racks and cool to room temperature. You should get 36 cookies total.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop ice cream balls onto one chocolate chip cookie, topping with a second one. Press down slightly. Continue filling sandwiches with ice cream until all 18 sandwiches are created.
- Freeze 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and roll edges in sprinkles or mini chocolate chips (optional). Freeze until you're ready to serve.
These are seriously too cute!
We are going through How I Met Your Mother on Netflix and just discussed the other day how after we’re done, Friday Night Lights is next! 🙂
But, seriously, if you haven’t watch HIMYM, you MUST make that your next series. It’s HILARIOUS.
Anything in a mini version is adorable! Yum. 🙂
Yes, very adorable. None of this, just eat it out of the box stuff. You’ve got a way of making everything fancy! Fun.
I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE the Friday Night Lights series!! Actually went so far as to buy a Panthers ’33’ t shirt that I wear with pj pants around the house!! Love me some Tim Riggins….
That is awesome!!
These are adorable! The first thing I thought was I am so making these for a birthday treat 🙂 Thanks for the idea.
So wait . . . Can you make these ahead of time and freeze them for later?
Just kidding . . . 🙂
When you’re done with Friday Night Lights, hop on the Mad Men train. You’d love it.
These are so adorable!
Just give me a bucket of these and I’ll be good 🙂
These are so cute. You’re right, they are great for little hands.
I love mini food! And cookies. And ice cream. I love these!!
These would be such a fun treat to serve at a party! Love this easy idea.
I would need a bucket of these after five hours of shopping, no doubt!! And I am trying to steer clear of FNL until I can get through my laundry list of Doctor Who and Dr. Quinn for the foreseeable future. Oy vie!!
So cute! I love mini versions. I’d eat a ton of these!
These are adorable! Mini foods always get me!
These are so cute!! Love it.
I am so glad that I am not the only one that loves obsessing over show series on Netflix. I love getting caught up in a show and watching the entire season. I loved Weeds and 24. I never watched Friday Night Lights, but I may have to start. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.