This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Egg Muffins are an easy, low carb breakfast. Filled with cheese, sausage, veggies and eggs and baked in muffin tins, you will love this light and delicious breakfast! Extremely similar to a Frittata but made in mini form! Extra delicious served with homemade pancakes.
Egg Muffins | An Easy Low Carb Breakfast!
While I love serving my kids cereal and toast every morning, I’ve started making a double batch of these Egg Muffins the night before for a quick and protein-rich breakfast. While I love having eggs in the morning, I don’t love having to make them fresh. This is the perfect make ahead or make day of breakfast. Simply reheat in the microwave and enjoy!
Main Ingredients Needed
Five ingredients and some S+P all come together to make these Egg Muffin Cups! Super yummy and super easy to throw together for some meal prep. Here’s what you need:
- Onions + Peppers – some healthy and tasty veggies!
- Eggs – I used the whole egg for lots of protein.
- Breakfast Sausage – ever heard of Jimmy Dean’s fully cooked turkey breakfast sausage? It is a lifesaver for this recipe and saves a ton of time. Feel free to use another breakfast sausage you like (*ahem Homemade Breakfast Sausage ahem*)
- Cheddar Cheese – and some yummy cheese to finish it all off!
- Cheese: replace cheddar cheese with white cheddar, feta, mozzarella, or whatever other cheese works with the flavors you have going on.
- Egg Whites: feel free to use ALL egg whites to decrease the fat content. Simply use 3 cups of liquid egg whites in place of 12 eggs.
- Vegetables: you could use any vegetables for this recipe but here are a couple of ideas.
How to Make Egg Muffins
For full details on all things Egg Muffins, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Step 1: Prep and Cook Veggies
Preheat oven. Spray 12 muffin tins well with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and sauté veggies with salt and pepper until tender. Remove from heat and add some of the mixtures into the bottom of each muffin tin.
Step 2: Eggs, Sausage and Cheese
Crack all eggs into a large liquid measuring cup. Add salt and pepper and whisk until well scrambled. Add some to each muffin tin and do your best to divide evenly.
Add sausage and cheese to the top of each muffin.
Step 3: Bake and Cool
Bake until egg is completely cooked.
Cool a couple of minutes before removing from each muffin tin. Serve warm.
Storing Egg Muffins
Store these Egg Muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days! To reheat simply pop one into the microwave for about 15 seconds (give or take 5 seconds based on your microwave) then enjoy!
Freezer Instructions | Make Ahead
Luckily for you this recipe is perfect to make ahead of time as meal prep!
Simply follow the directions then let the Egg Muffins cool completely. Wrap each muffin in plastic wrap then store them in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to 2 months!
To reheat wrap the frozen egg muffin (without the plastic wrap) in a wet paper towel, then microwave in 20-second intervals until heated through!
More Recipes to Try!
- Easy Quiche Recipe
- Bacon Egg Cups
- Southwest Egg Muffin Cups
- Hash Brown Egg Cups
- How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
I hope you make and enjoy this super easy and healthy Egg Muffins recipe soon! They are seriously a life saver to have on hand during the week.
The printable recipe card is below, have a nice day 🙂
- 3/4 cup onions & peppers finely diced
- 12 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup breakfast sausage crumbles
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12 muffin tins well with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Place a medium skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and sauté veggies with salt and pepper until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon into the bottom of each muffin tin.
- Crack all eggs into a large liquid measuring cup. Add salt and pepper and whisk until well scrambled. Add 3-4 tablespoons to each muffin tin and do your best to divide evenly.
- Add sausage and cheese to the top of each muffin. Bake 15-20 minutes or until egg is completely cooked.
- Cool 3-5 minutes before removing from each muffin tin. Serve warm.
Love this egg muffin recipe. Freezes great and I just nuke em in the morning for a quick protein boost and take them with me as I head out the door. Keeps me from ordering doughnuts with my coffee lol !!
I make these every Monday. 8 eggs and 1 can of rotel. Buy a Silicone muffin tin and there will be no sticking
I can’t wait to try this recipe! How long would these last in the refrigerator? Can these egg muffins be frozen? Thanks!
Love baked eggs and this is a quick and easy recipe for a savoury breakfast option. Thanks for identifying how many tablespoons of egg mixture per muffin. I like precision and nice evenly apportioned muffins.