This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Skillet Lasagna is a shortcut recipe that saves time while making a super tasty family dinner! Made with all of the flavors of classic Lasagna and perfect for sneaking in all sorts of veggies.
Skillet Lasagna | Great Weeknight Meal
I figured I’ve posted enough dessert recipes to last me at least a few weeks, so here is a delicious dinner idea, Skillet Lasagna! I love lasagna but it takes lots of time to make. So I made a fake-out lasagna that has all the yummy flavors you’d get in a typical lasagna recipe but with less time!
This makes a great family weeknight meal because it comes together quickly and you can typically add in any kind of vegetables you have lying around without anyone noticing. I added in zucchini because that’s what I had on hand, but feel free to add what you like. I’ve done this before with grated carrot and small broccoli florets. My daughter happens to love broccoli so I didn’t have to worry about hiding that one.
Main Ingredients Needed
- Short Cut Pasta – I used cavatappi but you can use whatever pasta you like.
- Butter – this helps the cheese melt into the pasta sauce.
- Ricotta + Mozzarella Cheese – two types of cheese for maximum cheesiness.
- Parsley – used as a garnish!
For the Sauce
- Ground Beef – I used a 93/7 blend. But you could also sub this out for ground turkey if you’re trying to eat a little healthier.
- Onion + Garlic – two flavor packing ingredients.
- Zucchini – I snuck in some grated zucchini into the sauce (don’t tell my kids!).
- Marinara Sauce – my favorite brand to use is Rao’s marinara sauce, but you can use whatever brand you like best.
- Bay Leaf, Basil + Oregano – three herbs to take this sauce to the next level.
- Salt + Pepper – and don’t forget to season as you go!
You can sneak all sorts of veggies into this Skillet Lasagna recipe, here are just a couple ideas:
- bell peppers
- spinach (maybe you can get away with this one)
How to Make Skillet Lasagna
For full details on how to make Skillet Lasagna see the recipe card down below 🙂
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt the water and stir in pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions.
Make the Sauce
While pasta is cooking, heat a very large skillet to medium-high heat. Break meat apart in the hot pan and cook until brown. Stir in onions, garlic, and zucchini. Saute until onions are tender.
Stir in pasta sauce, water and seasonings. Simmer until pasta is done.
Mix Pasta with Cheese
Once the pasta is cooked, drain and immediately return pasta to the cooking pot.
Stir in butter, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese until well incorporated and cheese starts to melt.
Mix Everything Together
Remove bay leaf from pasta sauce. Pour the entire pot of pasta into the hot sauce and stir to coat everything thoroughly. Top with more cheese if desired and serve hot topped with a bit of fresh parsley.
More Lasagna Recipes to Try!
- Cheesy Lasagna Dip
- My Momma’s Homemade Lasagna
- White Spinach & Artichoke Lasagna
- Lasagna Cups
- Baked Rigatoni Pasta
- Classic Baked Ziti
This recipe makes a lot of food- at least 6-8 servings- so make sure to use large pots and pans! Also, feel free to add in more or less cheese. It’s all up to you. I think this would make a great Sunday meal. We Brennan’s get together with family on Sunday afternoons and this is the kind of food we all like. Do you get together on Sunday’s with your family too or is it just us?
Either way, enjoy your day! Happy cooking! 🙂
for the sauce-
- 1 pound ground beef I used 93/7
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 24 oz pasta sauce 1 jar (plus 1/2 jar of water to wash out the jar)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
for the pasta-
- 1 pound short cut pasta I used cavatappi
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese grated (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- parsley chopped, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt the water and stir in pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a very large skillet to medium-high heat. Break meat apart in the hot pan and cook until brown. Stir in onions, garlic, and zucchini. Saute 5-6 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Stir in pasta sauce, water and seasonings. Simmer until pasta is done.
- Cook pasta until al dente (according to package instructions for al dente). Drain and immediately return pasta to cooking pot.
- Stir in butter, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese until well incorporated and cheese starts to melt. Remove bay leaf from pasta sauce. Pour the entire pot of pasta into the hot sauce and stir to coat everything thoroughly. Top with more cheese if desired and serve hot topped with a bit of fresh parsley.