This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This decadent Lemon Meringue Cheesecake is ultra-creamy filled with pockets of lemon curd and topped with a billowy-soft Swiss meringue. This would be a perfect spring or summer dessert or try my original Cheesecake Recipe!
Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
My oh my, the lemon addiction rolls on with this Lemon Meringue Cheesecake. Which was inspired by a cheesecake I had back in Paris. When I booked my flights to France, I never thought I’d find the most amazing slice of cheesecake. Macarons and croissants, yes. Cheesecake? Not so much. But when we came across the cutest little shop, Berko, and then went inside and saw cases filled with cheesecake, we obviously had to try them. I ordered the Lemon Meringue Cheesecake because LEMON and I just about died because of how good it was. Actually, all of the cheesecakes were amazing, but the consensus was the Lemon Cheesecake was the favorite.
Main Ingredients Needed
While this list seems a bit longer than some recipes, I assure you it all comes together easy and most definitely worth it! Here’s what you need for Lemon Meringue Cheesecake:
For the Crust
These are the ingredients for the simple graham cracker crust! Double the amounts if you absolutely love this part of cheesecakes.
- Graham Crackers – these are crushed to make the graham cracker crust.
- Sugar – to sweeten the crust.
- Butter – melted. This keeps all the ingredients together.
For the Filling
Make sure that the cream cheese and eggs are completely room temperature. This will give you the most creamy and smooth filling ever!
- Cream Cheese – this has to be completely softened to room temperature. Tangy, creamy goodness!
- Sugar – to sweeten of course.
- Vanilla + Lemon Extract – both are used for flavor!
- Eggs – room temperature eggs work best when mixing, so plan ahead.
- Lemon Zest – even more, lemony flavor coming your way.
- Cold Lemon Curd – buy store-bought or make your own!
For the Meringue Topping
These 4 ingredients make up the meringue. So, so good!
- Egg Whites – the main ingredient for any meringue recipe!
- Sugar – to sweeten.
- Cream of Tartar – this helps stabilize the egg whites as well as creating high peaks.
- Vanilla Extract – to flavor!
Tips and Tricks
Here are my biggest tips to make perfect Lemon Meringue Cheesecake!
- Room Temperature. Use cream cheese and eggs that are absolutely at room temperature. This makes for a smoother filling.
- Be Patient. Leave the cooked cheesecake in the oven for a good 6 hours (or overnight!) after baking to cool and avoid cracking, though a crack in a cheesecake never stopped me from eating it.
- Plan Ahead. Just plan ahead because this is not a one and done kind of recipe.
How to Make Lemon Meringue Cheesecake | Directions
In a nutshell, this Lemon Meringue Cheesecake has three parts: the crust, the filling, and the topping. It is a bit of a long recipe, but the directions couldn’t be simpler. I promise it’s easier done than said! For full details see the recipe card down below!
Step 1: Prep Crust + Bake
Preheat oven. In a small bowl, stir graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter until combined and moist. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake and set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature.
Step 2: Make Lemon Cheesecake Filling
In a large bowl, stir cream cheese and sugar together. Stir in vanilla and lemon extracts. Add in one egg at a time and stir. Scrape edges and stir in lemon zest.
Step 3: Add Lemon Curd + Cheesecake Filling
Add lemon curd into the cooked crust by dolloping it around the edges and into the center. Pour prepared batter over top of the lemon curd and smooth the top.
Step 4: Bake, Cool + Chill
Bake, then turn the oven off completely, leaving the cheesecake inside the oven to cool completely. Refrigerate cheesecake until completely chilled.
Step 5: Make Meringue
For the meringue topping, whisk egg whites, granulated sugar, and cream of tartar together in the top of a double boiler OR in a large, heat-safe bowl overtop of simmering water. Whisk until topping is very thick, glossy, and billowy. Fold in vanilla.
Step 6: Torch Meringue + Serve
Spread over top of the cheesecake and broil on low until topping has browned OR use a kitchen torch to brown meringue.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Storing Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
The best way to store leftover lemon meringue cheesecake is in an airtight container and back into the fridge for up to 3 days.
Similar Recipes to Try!
So, I’m no Berko, but I can make a mean cheesecake that tastes ultra-lemony, extra creamy, and super decadent. It’s a gift, what can I say? Whether you’re a passive cheesecake lover or at the addictive level, this is the kind of dessert that always gets finished, that always has people raving and that doesn’t get easily forgotten.
The printable recipe card is below. Enjoy, friends! 🙂
Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
for the filling-
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, stir graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter until combined and moist. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir cream cheese and sugar together until smooth and combined. Stir in vanilla and lemon extracts. Add in one egg at a time and stir in completely before adding in the next egg. Scrape edges and stir in lemon zest.
- Add lemon curd into the cooked crust by dolloping it around the edges and into the center. (Using cold lemon curd with allow it to hold its shape while baking.
- Pour prepared batter over top of the lemon curd and smooth the top. Bake 1 hour, then turn oven off completely, leaving cheesecake inside the oven to cool completely, about 6 hours.
- Refrigerate cheesecake until completely chilled.
- For the topping, using a hand mixer, whisk egg whites, granulated sugar and cream of tartar together in the top of a double boiler OR in a large, heat-safe bowl overtop of simmering water. Whisk 5-7 minutes or until topping is very thick, glossy and billowy. Fold in vanilla.
- Spread over top of cheesecake and broil on low until topping has browned. OR use a kitchen torch to brown. Refrigerate until ready to serve.