This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tender, sweet, and lemony, these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are what your weekend dreams are made of! Start with a pre-made pancake mix, these come together in a cinch!
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes | Fancy Yet Simple
I love making french toast or waffles on the weekend, but if you’d like to switch up your normal brunch routine, give these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes a try! It’s a fancier take on the regular fluffy pancake recipe, but couldn’t be simpler to make.
If you’ve been following my blog for any amount of time, you will probably know that lemon anything will always be my choice. Even when integrated into the pancake world. The ricotta cheese in this recipe adds a little extra moisture and tang while the lemon keeps these tasting super light and delightful. If loving pancakes if wrong, I don’t want to be right.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are frequently found on all the restaurant brunch menus and for good reason! It’s a classic combination that never gets old and tastes divine.
Main Ingredients Needed
This is a super simple Lemon Ricotta Pancake that cuts a few corners to make a quick breakfast meal. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pancake Mix – use a store-bought brand like Hungry Jack Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix or use my very own Homemade Pancake Mix Recipe.
- Extra Pancake Mix Ingredients – this is usually something like water or milk for the store brands, however, if you are using my pancake mix recipe, you are going to need eggs, oil, and water.
- Lemon Zest – this is where all of that great lemony flavor comes from. If you are looking for more lemon flavor, consider making a lemon glaze (lemon juice and powdered sugar mixed together) to drizzle on top.
- Ricotta Cheese – ricotta cheese in pancakes? Really? Yes, really! While some people may have strong opinions about cheese in pancakes, I promise it is a good decision. Ricotta cheese mostly just adds moisture and a tender texture with a slight tang that pairs perfectly with the lemon zest. You can’t really taste the cheese, but will notice a big difference in the overall finished product which you will love!
Lemon Ricotta Pancake Variations
And if you are looking to alter this recipe a little, that is fine by me! Here are a couple of suggestion to get you started:
- Cottage Cheese: this is a good substitute for ricotta cheese. I suggest blending it with some water to get it mostly smooth before adding it to your batter.
- Adding Blueberries or Raspberries: these two berries would be perfect to add to the batter before frying up. You could also just top the whole thing with fresh berries too.
- Looking for Protein? If you are looking for more protein in your diet I would suggest using Kodiak Cakes Protein Pancake Mix.
How to Make Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Because we are taking the help from the store, this pancake batter comes together in no time at all!
Measure out pancake mix, water, ricotta cheese, and lemon zest into a large bowl.
Whisk together until the batter is mostly lump-free. (A few small lumps are ok!)
Preheat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
Butter the pan well and fry pancakes until golden brown on each side.
Serve warm with syrup and powdered sugar.
The classic, go-to for any pancakes would include butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar which are perfect for these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes too, but there are lots of other variations you could try! Give these toppings a go:
- blackberry syrup
- lemon curd
- strawberry or raspberry jam or jelly
- fresh fruit and whipped cream
- blueberries and mint
More Pancake Recipes to Love!
Check out my other Sweet Breakfast Recipes while you’re at it:
- Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Protein Pancakes
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Apple Pancakes with Caramel Syrup
That’s it for these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes! Try this easy recipe soon friends 🙂
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy!
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 1 cup pancake mix such as the New Hungry Jack Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- zest of 2 small lemons
- powdered sugar for garnish
- syrup & butter for serving
- In a medium sized bowl, stir pancake mix, water, ricotta cheese and lemon zest together until mostly smooth with a few small lumps.
- Fry on a lightly greased nonstick skillet until golden brown.
- Serve with powdered sugar and syrup.