This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These XO Valentine Sugar Cookies could not be more perfect for Valentine’s Day! They are adorable, yummy and topped with sprinkles! Just as tasty as my Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies or Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies variations!
XO Valentine Sugar Cookies|A Lovely Cookie
I love how these XO Valentine sugar cookies turned out. They are soft, thick and chewy plus have a light almond flavor to them which is my all time FAVORITE taste in a sugar cookie. I added on a little pink glaze with some Valentine’s Day sprinkles and the cookies were all ready to go for the holiday of love!
This recipe makes a lot of X’s and O’s so you might want to think about giving some away and then perhaps playing a friendly game of tic tac toe…or I’ll just eat them. Either way is fine by me.
Main Ingredients Needed
Here is everything you’ll need to make these delicious, soft and chewy XO Valentine Sugar Cookies.
For the Sugar Cookies
- All-purpose flour- unbleached, helps fill out these cookies.
- Baking Powder- used as a leavening agent to help the cookies rise.
- Butter + Sugar- to flavor and sweeten!
- Egg- this provides structure and texture.
- Pure Vanilla Extract + Pure Almond Extract- two flavoring ingredients.
For the Glaze
- Powdered Sugar- to sweeten the glaze.
- Milk- for moisture
- Vanilla- for flavoring!
- Liquid Red Food Coloring- to add pink color to the glaze.
- Valentine’s Day Sprinkles- totally optional, but adds a festive touch to your cookies!
How to Make XO Valentine Sugar Cookies|Directions
For full directions on how to make these XO Valentine Sugar Cookies, scroll down to the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Make the Dough
After the cookies are baked and cooled, you are just about ready to Valentine them up!
Step 2: Make the Glaze
In a small bowl, stir powdered sugar, milk, red food coloring and vanilla together until smooth and runny. Add more or less red to create the type of pink hue you want.
Step 3: Dip the Cookies
Dip each cookie into the glaze. I tried to dip just the tops to leave the bottoms untouched. Place onto cooling rack to let excess glaze drip down.
Step 4: Add Sprinkles!
Once each cookie gets dunked, be sure to add on sprinkles! If you want to skip the sprinkles entirely, the cookies look really classy; just make sure to use a toothpick to pop the air bubbles. Because we were adding on some of these fun festive sprinkles, there was no need to pop any air bubbles before hand :). We love sprinkles at our house! Allow to dry 1-2 hours.
Want more Valentine Treat Ideas? Try these:
- Valentine’s Day Brownies
- Valentine’s Slice and Bake Cookies
- Valentine’s Day Cream Puffs
- Nutella Deviled Strawberries
My very favorite sprinkles are these mini heart sprinkles. How cute are they?? I just love ’em! If you need to show someone you love them, this is an easy way to get the job done 🙂
Anyways, these are the perfect cookies for Valentine’s Day. Make a few dozen now and wait for the compliments to roll in cause they certainly will!
The printable recipe is below. Enjoy!
XO Valentine Sugar Cookies
for the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl stir flour and baking powder together. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar together. Stir in egg and extracts. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients.
- Roll dough out onto floured surface to be just over 1/4" thick. Cut cookies out using X and O cookie cutters and place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Freeze 5-7 minutes, then bake 10-12 minutes. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to cooling racks.
- In a small bowl, stir all glaze ingredients together until smooth and runny.
- Dip each cookie into the glaze and place onto cooling rack to let excess glaze drip down. Top with desired sprinkles and dry 1-2 hours.