This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
What could be better than peanut butter cups and chocolate truffles? A mix between the two, of course! With Peanut Butter Balls you get the best of both! With a creamy peanut butter filling, chocolate outside and a surprise crunch, they are practically irresistible. Need a peanut buttery boost of energy? Give these Peanut Butter Energy Balls a try…these totally satisfy that sweet tooth craving.
How to Make Peanut Butter Balls
This is a pretty easy recipe to make. Simply prepare the filling, scoop into balls then freeze. Melt the chocolate then dip the frozen peanut butter balls into the chocolate. Then once they are all finished they chill until the chocolate hardens! For full details check out the helpful video and recipe card down below.
Make Peanut Butter Mixture
In a large bowl, measure out the butter and peanut butter. Microwave in intervals until completely melted and smooth.
Stir in powdered sugar and Rice Krispies and gently incorporate until fully mixed together.
Scoop mixture into balls. Roll in between palms to smooth completely. Place onto a parchment (or wax) paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze.
Make Dipping Chocolate
While peanut butter balls are freezing, melt chocolate and vegetable oil together in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in intervals until completely melted and smooth.
Coat Peanut Butter Balls in Chocolate
Drop the frozen balls one at a time into the melted chocolate. Use a fork or fondue tool to roll ball evenly in chocolate. Lift ball out of the chocolate and tap gently to remove any excess chocolate. Place back on parchment paper.
Continue coating balls in chocolate until they are all coated.
Chill + Serve
Chill until chocolate hardens. Serve.
What Kind of Chocolate Should I use?
Use a good quality melting chocolate or if you are in a bind, you can always use chocolate chips (dark, semi-sweet, milk or even peanut butter chips will do).
Chocolate Dipping Tips and Tricks
- Dipping utensil: you could use a specialty dipping tool for these peanut butter balls but you could also use a fork just as easily! Using a fork can be a little messier but it gets the job done. If you want to be fancy, I highly recommend these fondue utensils or this dipping tool.
- To thin out chocolate: if your chocolate is still too thick for dipping, add in another teaspoon of vegetable oil and mix away. Be careful though, if you add too much oil, the chocolate won’t stick to the peanut butter ball.
- For smooth chocolate: you either need more vegetable oil -OR- the chocolate mixture still needs some microwaving to melt all the way.
- Chocolate is hardening too fast: first things first, work quickly. Secondly, there is no shame in popping that chocolate back in the microwave for 10 seconds to get it loose again. You can do it!
- The filling is sticking to my dipping utensil: either the filling is too cold or the chocolate is too hot! Adjust accordingly and try again 🙂
Storage + Freezing Instructions
Once chocolate has set, store in an airtight container or bag. The real beauty of this Peanut Butter Balls recipe is that it can be frozen for up to 3 months! This also means you could have these bad boys ready for whenever the craving strikes.
To Freeze. Once the balls are coated, chilled and the chocolate has set toss them into a freezer-safe bag and freeze! Easy, right?
To Thaw. Simply thaw in the fridge overnight (or for at least 8 hours) then enjoy!
More Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats to Try!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Mini Loaves
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
The printable recipe card is below. Be sure to save/print/bookmark or share this recipe. Have a great weekend, friends! 🙂
Peanut Butter Balls
- In a large bowl, measure out the butter and peanut butter. Microwave in 30-second intervals until completely melted and smooth; should take about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in powdered sugar and rice Krispies and gently incorporate until fully mixed together.
- Using a 2 teaspoon cookie scoop, scoop mixture into 24 even balls. Roll in between palms to smooth completely. Place onto a parchment (or wax) paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze 10 minutes.
- While peanut butter balls are freezing, melt chocolate and vegetable oil together in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals until completely melted and smooth.
- Drop the frozen balls one at a time into the melted chocolate. Use a fork to roll ball evenly in chocolate. Lift ball out of the chocolate with the prongs of the fork and tap gently to remove any excess chocolate. Place back on parchment paper.
- Continue coating balls in chocolate until they are all coated. Chill until chocolate hardens. Serve.