This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The Reuben is the ultimate grilled sandwich! Rye Bread slices piled high with delicious corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and my lovely homemade Russian Dressing.
What is a Reuben Sandwich?
A Reuben sandwich is a classic American sandwich made of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on grilled rye bread. The Reuben is served hot or cold with a side of potato chips or a dill pickle spear. Yum!
Tips for Making the Best Reuben Sandwich
By following these tips, you can make a delicious and mouth-watering Reuben sandwich that will satisfy your cravings.
- Use fresh and high-quality ingredients: The key to a delicious Reuben sandwich is using fresh and high-quality ingredients. Choose good quality rye bread, freshly sliced corned beef, and Swiss cheese.
- Sauerkraut is an essential ingredient in a Reuben sandwich. It adds a tangy and slightly sour flavor that complements the corned beef and cheese. However, if sauerkraut isn’t your thing, leave it out.
- Warm the corned beef and sauerkraut: Warming the corned beef and sauerkraut in a pan or in the microwave will help to release their flavors and make the sandwich more flavorful.
- Homemade Russian Dressing: My homemade Russian dressing is so tasty and hands down better than store bought dressing. You can use Thousand Island dressing instead, or a combination of both!
- Add some heat: If you like spicy food, add some heat to your Reuben sandwich by adding a little bit of hot sauce or sliced jalapeños.
- Experiment with different cheeses: While Swiss cheese is the classic cheese for a Reuben sandwich, you can also experiment with other types of cheese such as cheddar or provolone.
How to Make Reuben Sandwiches
For full recipe details, including ingredients needed and measurements, see the printable recipe card down below. Here is step by step what you can expect when making a Reuben Sandwich:
Preheat Large Skillet
Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Assemble the Sandwiches
Butter one side of each piece of bread. Spread Russian dressing on the other side of each piece of bread. Evenly divide and layer cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut on four of the pieces of bread on top of the Russian dressing. Top with other four pieces of bread, butter side out.
Grill the Sandwiches
Place each sandwich in pan and grill until golden brown and cheese begins to melt…about 4 minutes. Flip over and brown other side another 3-4 minutes, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
Note: If you have a Panini Press, that would also work great for grilling a reuben sandwich.
Remove from heat, cut sandwiches in half and serve.
More Sandwich Recipes to Try!
The printable recipe card is below. Be sure to leave a comment below and tell me what you think! What do you add to your Reubens? Have a great day, friends! 🙂
- 1 cup Russian dressing or Thousand Island Dressing
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 8 slices Rye Bread
- 1 lb corned beef thinly sliced
- 8 oz Swiss cheese slices or shredded
- 1 cup sauerkraut well drained
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Spread Russian dressing on the other side of each piece of bread.
- Evenly divide and layer cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut on four of the pieces of bread on top of the Russian dressing.
- Top with other four pieces of bread, butter side out.
- Place each sandwich in pan and grill until golden brown and cheese begins to melt…about 4 minutes. Flip over and brown other side another 3-4 minutes, keeping an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Remove from heat, cut sandwiches in half and serve.