This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Get the best and easiest homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe. Not only does this take less than 20 minutes to make, but it’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Serve over hamburger buns, baked potatoes, or toast! Delicious every time.
Sloppy Joe Recipe | A Classic!
So happy to be sharing one of my favorite go-to dinners on a busy weeknight: Sloppy Joes! This recipe is probably one of the easiest on my blog, consisting of only a handful of ingredients. While I have a fabulous crock pot sloppy joe recipe, this one is the classic stovetop version that is ready to eat in no time. While I love the convenience of the store-bought (canned) sloppy joe sauce, nothing can beat this homemade recipe.
What is a Sloppy Joe?
A Sloppy Joe is a hot, American-made classic sandwich, made of ground beef and a sweet yet savory sauce piled high on soft bread or hamburger buns. The sauce usually consists of ketchup or tomato sauce as a base with other flavored ingredients added in, such as Worcestershire sauce, garlic, mustard powder, etc..
Main Ingredients Needed
Besides the ground beef which you’ll want to buy fresh, the rest of the ingredients are very common and should be readily available at your local grocery store if not already in your pantry. Who knew sloppy joes were this easy?
- Ground Beef– I like using a low fat cut of ground beef like a 93/7 or a 95/5 if I can find it so I don’t have to drain my ground beef. If you can only find a fattier ground beef (like an 80/20), be sure to buy an extra 1/3rd of a pound to make up the difference in weight (since you’ll drain off 20% of your meat as fat.)
- Minced Garlic– be sure to use fresh garlic that you mince yourself for delicious flavor.
- Ketchup– A sweet base for the sloppy joe sauce.
- Water– used to thin the sauce and prevent scorching
- Brown Sugar– because I love a sweet sloppy joe
- Ground Mustard– I love the tang this adds. If you don’t have dried, simply use yellow mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce– hello umami!
- Chili Powder– for a little spice, color and depth of flavor
- Salt & Pepper– seasonings this recipe needs to cut all the sugar
Looking for more beefy recipes to try? Look no further: The Best Lasagna Recipe Ever, Simple Sunday Meatloaf Recipe, The Best Burger Recipe, Easy Meatball Recipe (perfect for any dish!), and *Amazing* Pot Roast Crockpot Recipe.
How to Make Sloppy Joes
Get ready for the easiest direction ever! Don’t forget the more detailed instructions and ingredient increments are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1. Brown Meat
Brown 2 pounds of ground beef in a large skillet. I use beef that is 93/7 so I don’t have to drain it. Stir in fresh minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Make the Sauce
Add in the sloppy joe sauce ingredients and stir together: ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, dried mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces and becomes thick.
Serve hot over soft hamburger buns.
If you notice your meat mixture is getting too thick and browning at the bottom of your pan, add in a little extra water and reduce the heat slightly. That should keep it moist until you’re ready to serve.
Do I have to serve these with hamburger buns?
No, not at all! The hamburger bun is the classic way these are served, but you can definitely serve the sloppy joe mixture over toast, baked potatoes, simple roasted potatoes, sweet potato, or even some spaghetti squash or sauteed veggies to keep it lower carb.
What to serve with Sloppy Joes
One of the most common questions when making sloppy joes is what do I serve with them? While it is perfectly fine to serve as a stand-alone dish, making a few accompaniments makes them even more enjoyable.
Cold dill pickles and plain ruffles chips are delicious with these but I tend to lean towards some kind of homemade salad like classic coleslaw (as pictured above), cucumber salad, or this colorful carrot salad.
More Sloppy Joe Recipes to Try!
Be sure to check out all of my other sloppy joe recipes while you’re at it! This is such a family favorite of ours, I hope it becomes yours too.
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy 🙂
The BEST Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Heat large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Break meat apart as it browns.
- Once the meat is completely browned, stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add in the ketchup, water, Worcestershire, ground mustard, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir together and simmer 5-10 minutes or until water has mostly evaporated and sauce is thick.
- Spoon meat mixture onto toasted hamburger buns and serve.