This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Let me tell you about a great breakfast, lunch or dinner idea! Savory Waffles! But not just any waffles-delicious savory ones with grated cheddar cheese, scallions and pepper! Oh mama are they tasty…and of course these pair great with a side dish and hash browns were the obvious choice.
Savory Waffles | With Cheddar + Scallions
Honestly, these were delicious. Gourmet in taste, but not in difficulty and time. I love the salty sweet combinations so I had my waffles with syrup and butter and they were to die for! My husband thought I was weird because ‘cheese and onions don’t go with syrup’ but, I am here to say that they somehow miraculously work well together and just go. So trust me and try it.
Moving on to….hash-browns! Or is it Hashbrowns or Hash Browns? Either way, this ‘recipe’ is pretty straight forward. The only shortcut thing I do is I microwave the potatoes to get a baked potato first and then cube them up so I just have to brown them in a little butter on the stove. It is such a time saver and so much easier then cooking them from the raw state. And, that way your potatoes won’t discolor on you either. So, all I do to make these is melt some butter in a pan, saute some onions and then add in the potatoes and cook them until they’re brown and crispy. That’s about it. I’m all about simple things, especially crispy buttery potatoes. Yum.
Main Ingredients Needed
Here is what you’ll need to gather up in your kitchen to make these Savory Waffles. For full recipe details scroll down to see the printable recipe card below.
- All purpose flour- fills out the waffles and gives some volume.
- Baking powder-leavening agent. Helps the waffles rise and be soft and fluffy.
- Salt + Ground black pepper- for flavor.
- Granulated sugar- sweetens the batter.
- Egg– for structure and texture.
- Melted butter– for the waffle iron + to spread on waffle.
- Whole milk– to moisten and give a smooth texture to the dry ingredients.
- Cheddar cheese– grated.
- Scallion– chopped finely, white and green parts
How To Make Savory Waffles | Directions
These are very simple to mix up and throw on to the waffle iron. Don’t forget to stir in the cheese and scallions!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat waffle iron. In large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Gently stir in all wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in cheese and scallions.
Step 2: Pour Batter + Cook
Brush hot waffle iron with melted butter. Pour on batter and cook according. Serve hot with butter.
What To Do With Leftovers
If you have leftover waffles, store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. These also freeze well! I like to freeze them on a baking sheet until frozen solid, and then stack and place in an airtight container or ziplock, and place back in the freezer. These waffles will stay fresh for several months in the freezer.
Love Savory Waffles? Give These Recipes a Try…
- Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket Recipe
- Green Onion Savory Scone Recipe
- Classic Breakfast Casserole
- Southwest Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Burrito
Anyways, like I mentioned earlier, these two recipes would be great as breakfast, lunch or dinner! Add a fried egg and some fruit and you’ve got a great meal! Fancy enough to serve guests, but easy enough to be manageable for a novice chef. Be sure to make these this weekend! You won’t be sorry! Enjoy, friends! 🙂
For the waffles-
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter + extra for the waffle iron
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 whole scallion chopped finely, white and green parts
- Preheat waffle iron.In large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Gently stir in all wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in cheese and scallions.
- Brush hot waffle iron with melted butter. Pour on batter and cook according. Serve hot with butter.