This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When you want a good hearty breakfast, try these simple to make homemade Breakfast Burritos! Filled with bacon, egg, cheese, and hash browns, they are everything you love about breakfast all rolled up in a flour tortilla! Delicious served with a Fruit Salad or a Tropical Smoothie.
Basic Breakfast Burritos…SO GOOD!
What happens when you buy a huge bulk-sized pack of tortillas? Breakfast Burritos! Gotta love a good breakfast, and this is certainly that. Heck, it could even be lunch or dinner, too! Sometimes good things turn into great things. Anyways, these little babies are super simple to make and you can add whatever you want to them to make them your own. I added bacon, egg, cheese and hash browns then folded it up in a flour tortilla! Oh baby, are they good! Make some today! You’ll be glad you did!
What are Breakfast Burritos?
Also called breakfast wraps, Breakfast Burritos are essentially burritos that you fill with breakfast items (like eggs, sausage, hash browns, bacon, etc.) But you can fill them with pretty much anything you’d put in an omelet or quiche. Make it Southwestern or keep it traditional, it’s all up to you!
Four Main Fillings
I made a really traditional breakfast burrito recipe which I explain below, but feel free to customize it how you like it or based on what you have on hand. Here is what I wrapped into my tortillas:
- Cheddar Cheese – I like using sharp cheddar
- Bacon – prep this beforehand by making bacon in the oven or use store-bought pre-cooked bacon.
- Hash Browns – make these from scratch or buy some frozen hash browns that are super easy to prepare.
And now for all of the customization ideas! I love this recipe because you can change it up based on what you have on hand. Leftover chicken or steak? Perfect! Add that in, too! Deli turkey or ham also is a great addition. If you have any more ideas, feel free to share them in the comments below 🙂
- Protein: bacon, breakfast sausage, eggs, ham, leftover steak, leftover chicken, chorizo, lunch meat.
- Veggies: onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado, corn, cilantro. Saute these separately or in with the scrambled eggs.
- Sauces: sour cream, guacamole, salsa, hot sauce.
- Cheese: cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, pepper jack
- Carbs: flour tortillas, hash browns, black beans
How to Make Breakfast Burritos
For full details on how to make breakfast burritos, see the recipe card down below!
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Cook Burrito Fillings
Fry bacon to desired doneness. Cook hash browns according to package directions and scramble your eggs. More detailed directions about scrambling the eggs are below! Of course, feel free to add in a few veggies to the eggs (onions/peppers/mushrooms) if you’re going with the whole southwest theme.
To assemble, take a flour tortilla and in the middle place desired ingredients and top with grated cheese. Roll burrito style (tuck the ends in so they aren’t open) and roll in foil. Continue this process until all burritos are filled and wrapped.
Place in warm oven for 10 minutes or until you are ready to eat. Cut each burrito in half with foil and all, add any toppings you’d like (guacamole, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, etc..) and enjoy!
Freezing Breakfast Burritos
Breakfast Burritos make for great morning meal prep! They are easy enough to make in bulk then freeze for when you need a quick and energizing meal. Now that I think about it, these would be perfect to make ahead and take camping. Yum!
Simply follow the directions, then after wrapping in foil but before baking, allow to cool completely. Once cool, stuff the tinfoil-wrapped burritos into a freezer-safe storage bag, mark the outside with the date and what type of burritos you made (if you made more than one flavor combo). Freeze for up to three months!
To reheat take a frozen tinfoil-wrapped burrito and warm it in the oven until heated through (15-20 minutes). If you’d like to use the microwave to heat these up, remove the foil and instead wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Microwave at 50% power for up to 3 minutes or until heated through. Every microwave is different, so be sure to check it as you go.
More Mexican Inspired Breakfasts to Try!
- Breakfast Tacos
- Southwest Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Nachos
- Chile Con Queso Eggs Benedict
- Jalapeño Cheese Grits with Poached Eggs and Hash
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy!
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese or cheddar
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cook bacon to your liking. Cook hash browns according to package directions (usually in a nonstick skillet with lots of butter, salt and pepper. Yum!)
- For the scrambled eggs, crack eggs into a large bowl and whisk with milk, salt and pepper. Melt butter into a skillet over medium low heat. Carefully and gently stir eggs to scramble. Should take 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To assemble your breakfast burritos, lay all flour tortillas out and add hash browns, eggs, bacon and cheese. Roll tightly into a burrito (tuck the ends in as you roll so they aren't open and roll in foil. Continue this process until all burritos are filled and wrapped.
- Place in warm oven for 10 minutes or until you are ready to eat. Cut each burrito in half with foil and all, add any toppings you'd like (guacamole, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, etc..) and enjoy!