Smoked Sausage Asparagus Pasta is an easy 30 minute meal that is a family favorite dinner that will have you licking your plates clean! This supper is full of flavor with very few ingredients. Smoked sausages, asparagus, garlic onions and pasta tossed together in a creamy tomato sauce. It’s as easy as that!
Have any of you seen the trailer for The Thinning? It’s on Youtube Red, so that means if you watch anything on Youtube than you’ve probably seen the ad pop up here and there before the videos you REALLY want to see.
Anyways, here I was watching Jimmy Fallon hashtag videos (because I’m obsessed with that man) and the ad for this movie pops up.
I literally watched 10 seconds of the trailer and nearly peed my pants. If I could have the option to not watch and of the scary movie ads, I’d do that. I don’t mind ads, but the scary movie ads before the hilarious Jimmy Fallon clips? HEART FAILURE.
Have I mentioned my pure hatred of scary movies…ever? Have I never mentioned this before in the last 7 years I’ve had my blog? That’s can’t be possible….right?
Well, I hate scary movies. They make me pee my pants and give me nightmares.
I had a nightmare last night because of that damn 10 second clip before I could click the “Skip Ad” button.
Wish I was kidding and wish I knew how to counteract the way my brain reacts to horror in general.
When I was 17, I watched Children of the Corn…out in a corn field in the middle of the night with a group of my friends. I should have know better. Right at the end of the movie when the credits were just about to roll, one of these friends popped out of the corn field with a ski mask on and a very loud chain saw. That may have something to do with the complex I now have.
Anyways, that explanation has nothing to do with this meal which is quite the opposite of scary.
I’ve been experimenting with this one for the last two weeks and finally I got it to where I want it 🙂 Smoked Sausages in a creamy tomato sauce, tossed with hot pasta and asparagus turned out to be the bomb. Every time I made it, kids cleaned their plates. Even Eddie loved it! (The pasta, not the asparagus.)
So, this is a 30 minute meal that is really simple to throw together with simple ingredients and no pre-made anything.
My secret in keeping this lower-ish in calories is whisking flour into a little chicken broth to thicken the sauce and using 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of heavy cream. Originally, I used 1/2 a cup but found that to be a little much and nearly unnecessary. I also added in a pound of asparagus to beef this up a bit in the vitamin department. Feel free to substitute the asparagus out for a different vegetable or none at all. It’s up to you!
Overall, this is a yummy dinner that you don’t have to feel horrible about feeding to your family. It’s a good one 🙂
Helpful links, tips and the printable recipe below!
Have a great day!
Helpful Links and Tips
(some affiliate links below)
If you’re going to pour the pasta into the pan with the sauce, be sure to use a large nonstick skillet with high sides. Trying to stir food/toss salad in a very full whatever is the worst. OR, just put the pasta back into the hot pot it cooked in after draining and pour the sauce overtop. This would be a good pot for that.
I like to cook my asparagus right in the sauce. You can also throw it into the salted pot of water where you’re cooking your pasta, but all those vitamins will get lost when you drain. So, be sure to add it into the sauce to keep the nutritional value.
Don’t forget to use plastic/nylon/rubber utensils in your nonstick pans! This will help them last a lot longer 🙂 This is the set I have and they work great!
The sauce may seem a bit runny, but the more you stir it together with your pasta, the more it will thicken up. When in doubt, keep stirring.
Parmesan cheese is an optional, but delicious garnish. Your call!
Smoked Sausage Asparagus Pasta
Yield 4 servings
Smoked Sausage Asparagus Pasta is an easy 30 minute meal that is a family favorite dinner that will have you licking your plates clean! This supper is full of flavor with very few ingredients.
- 1 lb. short cut pasta ( I used Mezzi Rigatoni)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1-13 oz. beef smoked sausage link,
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes*
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- shredded parmesan cheese as garnish (optional)
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- In large, nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 4 minutes or until they start to turn translucent. While onions are cooking, cut smoked sausage in half lengthwise, and then into pieces to create semi-circles. Add smoked sausages to the pan and brown lightly, 2 minutes.
- Start cooking pasta in boiling water.
- Rinse asparagus, snap woody ends off the bottom and discard. Cut remaining stalks into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add in can of petite diced tomatoes, prepared asparagus, basil, salt and pepper. Stir. Measure chicken broth into a liquid measuring cup and whisk in flour to dissolve. Pour chicken broth mixture into hot pan and bring to boil. As the sauce boils, it should thicken slightly. Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream. Taste sauce, adjust salt and pepper and continue to keep warm on low until pasta is finished cooking.
- Drain pasta once it is cooked to your liking. Pour into sauce and toss to coat in sauce. Sauce may appear runny, but the more you stir the thicker it will become. It will come together 🙂
- Serve hot!
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @laurens_latest on Instagram and hashtag it #laurenslatest.